Suspension settings

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helrazzer

Reaction score
I'm nearly 15 stone what settings should my suspension be set on? Does anybody know?

I think it's set at 13 stone from the factory for 0 setting (it's in the handbook) but I've set the front at +2 as i felt the front was a bit light, but the rear was rock hard at 0. It's really a personal preference and trial and error and I'll be adjusting the settings again to see what suits best, but it's like night and day already with a small adjustment.
At 12 stone +2 front and -2 rear feels pretty good for me in race mode.
At a GUESS for 15 stone you could try +4 front and try +1 rear to see if it feels more planted.
Of course, your riding style may be wildly different to mine but try as a starting point from the standard settings.

Don't try reading the book and thinking it will sink in for any adjustments to standard settings for anything!
i got bamboozled trying to understand it. As with most things, try it on the dash yourself with the book in hand and look at what the buttons say when pressing. Makes it so much easier when you read and adjust together.

I think it's set at 13 stone from the factory for 0 setting (it's in the handbook) but I've set the front at +2 as i felt the front was a bit light, but the rear was rock hard at 0. It's really a personal preference and trial and error and I'll be adjusting the settings again to see what suits best, but it's like night and day already with a small adjustment.
At 12 stone +2 front and -2 rear feels pretty good for me in race mode.
At a GUESS for 15 stone you could try +4 front and try +1 rear to see if it feels more planted.
Of course, your riding style may be wildly different to mine but try as a starting point from the standard settings.

Being the same weight I've gone for the same settings and tried it out yesterday with the menu option turned on so I could adjust on the move. When you say -2 on the rear is that for both settings comp and reb and are these settings common across the modes like race and sport do you know? I could feel the difference it made straighnt away though.

Being the same weight I've gone for the same settings and tried it out yesterday with the menu option turned on so I could adjust on the move. When you say -2 on the rear is that for both settings comp and reb and are these settings common across the modes like race and sport do you know? I could feel the difference it made straighnt away though.
Ive just adjusted the compression to -2 at the rear so far, it feels good for me and wanted to ride it a few times on my favourite twisties before I adjusted the rebound. I'm happy for now though.
This is in RACE mode and I think the settings are harder in race and softer in sport mode.

After some spirited riding yesterday I've dropped my rear to +1 for both after getting bounced out if the seat a few times I may try zero next time but im happy with + 2 on the front

Hopefully not teaching you to suck eggs, but getting your sag set correctly first (preload) is the most important step on any bike. Until the bike is sitting at the optimal height on the springs there's no point trying to dial out problems with damping....

Once you've set the sag, recalibrate and then tweak the damping.

I maybe wrong, but it feels as if the damping adjustments only affect low-speed (comfort) damping.

I'm deff no expert with the settings and will value anyone's opinion with setting it up correctly, but so far I'm happy with the way it responds to what I have done so far. It was rock hard at the back and now more comfortable but will play about a bit more to see If I prefer other settings.

Not sure about the preload on my 2015, I tried to back off the preload on the rear shock and it appears to be completely backed off already ?

There does not seem to be enough sag at the rear.

BTW I have a sport and I did have the bike turned on.

Cheers,

Mark

After some spirited riding yesterday I've dropped my rear to +1 for both after getting bounced out if the seat a few times I may try zero next time but im happy with + 2 on the front
Scrap the above I've been out today set at 0 all around and the bike was awsome may have to add a bit of compression to the rear as I had the front wheel in the air under hard acceleration but the bike felt a lot more comfortable absorbing the bumps instead of bouncing over them I think its just a case of trying all settings and see which suits you and your local roads best

Makes such a difference, I'm still on my same settings and it feels fine, haven't been out much but got a blast tonight.
When I filled up at Tesco, the attendant came out after I'd finished and appologised first then said I'd not to sit on the bike while refuelling as it was new EEC rules! I said are you having a laugh but he appologised again and said that's what they have to tell the bikers from now on :dread:

When I filled up at Tesco, the attendant came out after I'd finished and appologised first then said I'd not to sit on the bike while refuelling as it was new EEC rules! I said are you having a laugh but he appologised again and said that's what they have to tell the bikers from now on :dread:
thats bollocks! It's been an eec/eu rumour for years. Health and safety says if it overfills on to a hot engine and catches fire you don't want to be on it. Theft prevention says your less likely to ride off if you are off the bike

Bollocks or not, thats what he asked me to do . If this carries on I'll be riding in bubble wrap this time next year.

Not sure about the preload on my 2015, I tried to back off the preload on the rear shock and it appears to be completely backed off already ?

There does not seem to be enough sag at the rear.

BTW I have a sport and I did have the bike turned on.

Cheers,

Mark

The rear on mine has been feeling somewhat softer after 1000 miles, although static sag isn't huge. I thought I'd check preload thinking the shock must be wearing in, to find it's set on minimum. The manual doesn't suggest a factory setting, so I've wound it four turns in, sag is now about 15mm, will see what it feels like...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back