Suspension set up in the south east

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Reaction score
Hi all

After a 1000 miles I am getting familiar with the bike and its incredible potential. I have messed about with the damping settings, but pretty sure that the preload is the first thing which needs setting properly

It rides great, but it feels like the suspension is slightly letting the bike down. Either too hard or too soft.

So, I think a pro set up is in order, and would appreciate your advice on where to go.

I live in Sussex, quite near Tunbridge Wells.

(Ps, looks like I won't get much more mileage from my oe K3!!! Is this normal? It seems a very low mileage, although the grip is outstanding)

Thanks guys and gals .

Hi Bud.

I'm not far from you at all. I'm guessing your near EG.

Give HM Racing a call and book an appointment with Perry the suspension guy. They are based in Eidenbridge so probably not a million miles form you. Top blokes that really know there stuff

Harlequin, let us know how you get on

Mine needs to be re-sprung at both ends as it's currently too hard (I'm 67kg). Although HM are 60 miles from where I live it's doubtful I'll get anyone much closer, especially given the importance of word of mouth.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure with a bit of fettling, a good setting could be found without having to get bits re-sprung. The S1000RR is mown for being too soft if anything.

(Ps, looks like I won't get much more mileage from my oe K3!!! Is this normal? It seems a very low mileage, although the grip is outstanding)

Thanks guys and gals .

Well I got 2700 out my first rear. I thought that was rubbish, but many on here thought it was quite good. Somewhere in between you and me sounds like the norm.....

Had mine done at HM a couple of weeks ago by Perry.....it transformed the bike. Took an hour and a half or so, well worth the hundred quid. He also explained my options going forward when the budget permits.

Thanks Hopper, I have my meeting with Perry on Friday morning. Can't wait as the suspension is defo not right.

Cheers Dave for the vote of confidence. Did he change the preload much? And did you keep all of his changes?

I had mine done with Simon from SNS Motorcycles in Ockley - did a wicked job and was very cheap. He also gave me a sheet with the settings and post set-up phone support should I need it. Once done the bike was so locked I had removed the chicken strips on the edges of tyre with out even realising it.

def. my deal of the month :)

Been HM years ago for dyno and suspension and it was a good service. Planning to use them again to set the BMW up when it's ready (dyno/suspension). :)

Looking forward to Friday ! Will post how I got on, and Lumpy, I hope to get more confidence and lose my chicken strips!!

Just take it easy and see how it feels and go from there. :)

Harlequin

I posted my settings on here. If you want to PM me i will email them over to you. All i can say is that I'm now a convert to chassis upgrades rather than engine upgrades.......and I've done both.

So...... Perry at HM racing did my set up this morning.

On the way to see them , as normal, the bike was nervous at the front and dead at the back. Explained this to Perry, and he was not surprised at all!

One hour later I am riding home on a completely different bike......at least that's how it feels.

Preload front and bike changed, nearly every setting played with, and I love it.

It was only £80 + VAT, so I recommend you do this straight away, and don't bother with anodised goodies ! What a difference it makes .

Thoroughly recommend Perry and the whole team at HM , Edenbridge.

Thanks to Hopper, Bananaman and Lumpy for the recommendation

So...... Perry at HM racing did my set up this morning.

On the way to see them , as normal, the bike was nervous at the front and dead at the back. Explained this to Perry, and he was not surprised at all!

One hour later I am riding home on a completely different bike......at least that's how it feels.

Preload front and bike changed, nearly every setting played with, and I love it.

It was only £80 + VAT, so I recommend you do this straight away, and don't bother with anodised goodies ! What a difference it makes .

Thoroughly recommend Perry and the whole team at HM , Edenbridge.

Thanks to Hopper, Bananaman and Lumpy for the recommendation
sounds like a

Currently my bike handles brilliantly at higher speeds, even on some of the crap bumpy roads we have around Kent. The only issue I have is that it's quite harsh at slower speeds, say below 50mph, and feels as though it could do with softening a bit. Have wound the rear slow-speed compression down but didn't make much difference.

Probably a daft question but would it really make a difference all round having it tweaked by HM? Don't want to sacrifice high speed handing to improve lower speed comfort.

I can't begin to tell you how much better it is now mate. Mine was better at speed, but at 50 or below it was pretty poor to be honest.

Go along, you won't be sorry.

Back