Sump replaced free by BMW East Kilbride

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu1888

Reaction score
Just a thank you to East Kilbride parks BMW for my sump replaced under warranty with no cost to myself even tho bike is out of warranty as its an 11 plate.

i know it's still a manufacturing fault but there was no arguing just took it in the took pics and sent it to Germany
And go ahead gigive so thank you parks BMW motorad East Kilbride

Agree - this time, they were excellent. My bike dropped its oil from a corroded sump on Saturday of last week, bike was fully fixed by Monday of this week. Would have been quicker if it didn't need recovered overnight and the service manager wasn't back from holiday until Wednesday. Similarly, no quibbles, BMW okayed it straight away and within 3 working days parts had been ordered and job completed. Somewhat restores my faith in them (if not the bike) after the engine rebuild saga last year.

I think BMW have no option to replace them, as the ones they replace them with also fail within a short space of time.
As BMW Customer Services alluded to in an email......

"I appreciate that you have concerns regarding the reliability of the part and you would like to know what would happens if it fails once the warranty has expired. Once the two year warranty has expired we do encourage our customers to purchase an Insured Warranty, to offer additional peace of mind. In the absence of a valid warranty policy we do operate a goodwill policy. If the sump was to fail on your motorcycle and you did not have any warranty policy in place, we would review your case favourably."

even so its good to post some good news
nice one

Agree 100% there Bob, I know you had great overall use and enjoyment from your S1000 with minor gripes in a lot of miles and 3 full years - I have had no single issue in 5k+ and counting, OK, more lucky than some, but the doom and gloom sometimes leaves me thinking ,how are you dealing with your problems out there? - if/ when I need to I shall camp out on a dealership General Manager's front lawn having followed him home if I ever feel like I've tried to be fobbed off....you simply do not need to accept 'no' when you know you have a deserved claim......

Yes was good service can't complain far better than the Ducati service I had and the ducati i just had to think about starting it and something broke lol

tho they did hint that I have one out of warranty claim left which made me chuckle

Took mine in for it's 18k service today, guess what......... the sump needs replacing for the THIRD time !!!

As an aside, they were surprised to see me as it was raining. I asked why, they said that most people cancel a service if it's raining or bring it
in a van. WTF ?

As an aside, they were surprised to see me as it was raining. I asked why, they said that most people cancel a service if it's raining or bring it
in a van. WTF ?[/QUOTE]

i know I ride in all weathers all year round can't see what the issue is tho it isn't as enjoyable in the rain but still full leaping traffic and with sthou tv and absu can still hammer it lol

when I had the 1198s Ducati actually said I was riding way to much in bad weather lol

Same here. The oil sump was replaced when it went in a for service last year. They said it was an 'unacceptable level of corrosion'. Fair play to BMW Balderstons Peterborough - they did a great job and I had a loan bike during the service.

Does the sump corrode from the outside so you can keep an eye on it?

Have BMW explained why this is happening.

I've been wondering whether to take out an extended warranty when mine becomes due in May, the more i read the more i think it's worth while although I suppose the cost of services & warranty would go a good way towards new parts.

Yes on the outside

No BMW have said nowt

I have extended my warranty, mainly because I will be doing some mileage.

At least it can be monitored.

Thought BMW would have come up with suggestions of why & maybe how it could be protected.

I won't be doing big mileage but it will all be track miles & the gearbox still seems to be suspect hence the reason for me wondering about warranty. There again I'm sure they could use the track use as an excuse if they wanted to.

I've taken to pulling off the bottom of the fairing and keeping some ACF50 on the sump when it's getting a once over. Better than nowt and it means I can keep an eye on it starting again (mine was replaced a month or so ago).

My 2011 BMW S1000RR Sport with 30,600 miles on the clock is now out of warranty and needs its second replacement sump!! - it is professionally cared for and in apparent mint condition - but underneath this problem has been developing yet again. It had the first one at 19000 miles only last March. It looks like the two different metals of the sump plug and sump pan are reacting together when hot and subjected to a stream of water from the front wheel laced with road salt. This happens fast in the right conditions as no corrosion was noticed at the 18k service. I already know of one bike that lost its oil and killed the engine when the corrosion perforrated the sump pan, traffic was flashing him as he smoked from oil hitting the cat box, he pulled over and switched off but the big ends were damaged.
If you ride in an enviroment with road salt (or not - this winter has hardly been bad) you need to take two minutes to check carefully for this - your next service may be too late. It may once have been a warranty claim but simple replacement alone is not curing this issue. My chances of 'goodwill' from BMW on a bike used daily in all weathers....NIL.... I should think. I have already had lots of flannel about 'most of their customers for this model don't use them in this fashion'....we shall see.
I've already had two sets of handlebar switchgear (corrosion) and replacement headlights (silvering turned brown) and exhaust headers (cracked)...my warranty luck has probably run out.
Rgds Nick B

Well I'm on my third at 19.5k, BMW insist there is not a problem.

Email's from BMW

"I trust you will understand that we rely on our network of BMW Motorrad Approved Dealerships to act in the capacity of our technical advisors. Their field reports is then utilised to help us identify trends in component failure. As previously advised, the S 1000 RR Sport has not been highlighted as having an inherent issue with the sump. Should this situation change as we receive further details, we would then look to address it through a quality enhancement. If you have any specific questions in the meantime, I will endeavour to answer them."

"[FONT=&quot]I can advise that I have contacted our Technical Department for further advice regarding the questions that you have. I can confirm that we collate all failure reports to establish if there is a failure trend with any parts. Any information in the report is for internal use only. However, I can advise that there has not been any metallurgic problem with the sump, therefore, there has been no changes to the part."

"[FONT=&quot]I appreciate that you have concerns regarding the reliability of the part and you would like to know what would happens if it fails once the warranty has expired. Once the two year warranty has expired we do encourage our customers to purchase an Insured Warranty, to offer additional peace of mind. In the absence of a valid warranty policy we do operate a goodwill policy. If the sump was to fail on your motorcycle and you did not have any warranty policy in place, we would review your case favourably."[/FONT][/FONT]

BMWs attitude to this is a bit surprising. There's clearly an issue - similar to Nick, mine failed in very quick order after seeing the sump looking pristiine on a bench. Dissimilar metals is what keeps popping into my head as well - whether it's the sump plug, or heatshield, something is reacting to have it corrode through inside months...

Latest posts

Back