Stomp Grip Fitting help

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Hay

Reaction score
Hi , I'm looking for some help to fit stomp grips to my 2011 S1000RR in light grey metallic.

A few months back I attempted to fit a set of clear stom grips to the bike , I prepped the tank with alcohol wipes etc and heated the tank and grips up whilst slowly pulling the backing off inch by inch and also rubbing a tennis ball to try and press the grip on and expel any bubbles.

The grips stuck well and were evenly fitted on both sides , however I could not get them to fit without air bubbles no matter how much heat or patience I applied.

In the end I couldent get the bubbles out and it was bugging me so I ended up taking them back off.
Maybe I was being too picky but is there any way to fit these so you cant get any bubbles ? I had seen another thread where the idea was to spray the tank with some soap and water then apply the grips , rub the pad to remove the bubbles/water then let it dry ? has anyone tried this way ?

Failing all this then I'm tempted to fit a black set where I'm assuming that whether there's bubbles or not then you cant see anything because of the black ? Also there is the chance that the black may look quite poor on the light grey tank , again has anyone fitted the black pads to a light coloured tank or can anyone post some pictures if they have.

I know this may have been asked many times but despite many searches and trawling of threads I cannot find any other idea or suggestions of the black pads on a light tank.

any help or advice would be great

Grant

I've tried fitting clear ones like you mentioned to different bikes, tried using hair drier and similar method to your slowly pealing back but always end up with some bubbles! now I just use black!! I have a white bike but for me it's not a prob how they look as prefere the function of them for track days, in all honesty sometimes the clear one go a dirty yellow colour after a while. I will see if I can dig out a pic of the bike!

Stompgrips

I have the clear Stompgrips fitted on my BMW. Its definitely function over form with the clear version. I've used Stompgrips for a few years now and each time I've applied a new set to the tank there are always small air bubbles that appear however hard you persevere when fitting.

P1020697_zpswokvfdm9.jpg

I applied it like they do stone guard. Spray the area and your hands with a solution of washing up liquid and water. Peel bracking backing off and position by sliding into the desired position. Squeeze water out with tennis ball and allow to dry.

Thanks for the advice guys , really helpful.

in two minds whether to buy another clear set and try the washing up liquid way and just put up with any imperfections and stop being so picky or to buy a black set where it might not look too great against a light tank.

I got a couple of air bubbles in mine , i just pin pricked it and got air out

Thanks for the pics guys , think ill just stick a black set on as I know it'll piss me off if its not right.

Thanks for all the help

Grant

Latest posts

Back