starting problems

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pogo_it

Reaction score
hi,I'm having a bit of an issue with starting the bike.
turn the ignition on, everything lights up as normal, with no warnings on the dash. Press the start button and all i get is a click from the right hand most green relay under the seat.
anyone know of anything that its likely to be,battery seems to be ok, i have had it back on the optimate for a couple of days.
i figure its something 'down stream' of the relay, but am really somewhat out of my depth when it comes to electrics!

You're right enough, sounds like the battery to me. You can try and charge it but it may be gubbed.

You can also get a mate to bump start it and see if it runs fine. If so I'd get a new battery in it.

just watchout make sure you have a fully charged battery or you could lunch the starter clutch!!!!!!!

Ive got a friend coming round to look at it tonight. The issue came up after a ride out when i stopped for fuel. Tried bump starting it at the time but no dice, although i think that at the time i couldn't hear the fuel pump. As much as usual.
thanks for the ideas

After a bit of checking around, friend thinks it may be a problem with one of the switches, either starter button or sidestand switch possibly, anyone know of these are fragile or commonly go wrong?

Thanks bettybeamer, will keep that in mind. Did some more checking, switch seems ok, think it was a combination two things, flattish battery, its showing the right voltage but the ampage is looking low. And something with the starter, we were testing the voltage at the starter when it fired up, noww fires up every time, so am going to clean up and waterproof the contact change the battery and join the as!

Per chance were you out on a sunny day. There are known issues with some switchgear leading to starting problems when in direct sunlight for a while. They get hot and some micro circuitry goes AWOL. If it happens again on a hot sunny day try wrapping a cold wet bit of bog roll or cloth around the starter switch gear and waiting 10 minutes before trying again. Sounds stupid but it happens, happened to me on Monday on my other bike. Good news is bmw are still replacing pairs of switch gear foc for now.

Per chance were you out on a sunny day. There are known issues with some switchgear leading to starting problems when in direct sunlight for a while. They get hot and some micro circuitry goes AWOL. If it happens again on a hot sunny day try wrapping a cold wet bit of bog roll or cloth around the starter switch gear and waiting 10 minutes before trying again. Sounds stupid but it happens, happened to me on Monday on my other bike. ?Good news is bmw are still replacing pairs of switch gear foc for now.?
QUOTE]

Has anybody taken a track bike in for any warranty parts? What's BMWs poolicy on this or is it different from dealer to dealer?

Thanks

Keith

Per chance were you out on a sunny day. There are known issues with some switchgear leading to starting problems when in direct sunlight for a while. They get hot and some micro circuitry goes AWOL. If it happens again on a hot sunny day try wrapping a cold wet bit of bog roll or cloth around the starter switch gear and waiting 10 minutes before trying again. Sounds stupid but it happens, happened to me on Monday on my other bike. ?Good news is bmw are still replacing pairs of switch gear foc for now.?
QUOTE]

Has anybody taken a track bike in for any warranty parts? What's BMWs poolicy on this or is it different from dealer to dealer?

Thanks

Keith

It is just normal warranty. Oe equipment is covered, any mods or aftermarket changes that cause a failure void the warranty. Track bike or not is irrelevant.

Latest posts

Back