Start up problems

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masho46

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Had my first service done Tuesday hooked up to the computer no faults found they said road home no problems.Started the bike up this morning and its a sound like a popped piston twice in a matter of 15 seconds then just about kept the revs avoiding it stalling.I rode it home no problems so got the video ready this morning to catch it and nothing everything was fine.One question to ask could this be anything to do with the fuel I use as generally I just use the supermarket near me to fill up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Depends on if you're running 95 RON. The minimum recommended is 98 RON for these bikes, I always use Shell V-Power or equivalent.

I only ever fill up with 97+ octane fuel. I've never had a start up problem with my Gen 3 but apart from anything else, premium fuel helps to keep the engine running cleanly.

I only ever fill up with 97+ octane fuel. I've never had a start up problem with my Gen 3 but apart from anything else, premium fuel helps to keep the engine running cleanly.
I never had an issue either with my gen 3 this is the 4.

Alex you will have to enlighten me on this when you say latest firmware.

Start up spluttering isn't new. It's been discussed before, many have found that the latest ECU updates from BMW have made things better. The dealer should be able to update the ECU during a service.

Start up spluttering isn't new. It's been discussed before, many have found that the latest ECU updates from BMW have made things better. The dealer should be able to update the ECU during a service.
Thanks for the explanation my dealer obviously hasn't updated the ecu whilst in for run in service.

As Alex has said, it would be down to the ECU and needs an update. If it sounds like this :> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrID...ature=youtu.be then it is down to the map used for cold starts. (All to do with emissions) Talk to the dealer and check with them the bike had the latest update.
You tube vid not showing anything mate can you resend.

Hey Masho, mines always give a wee splutter and sounds like its missing a plug, but only for a fe seconds, then the cold start kicks in and its fine, does always start with first push of the button.

if you check your settings menu, there a software version in there.

Hey Masho, mines always give a wee splutter and sounds like its missing a plug, but only for a fe seconds, then the cold start kicks in and its fine, does always start with first push of the button.

if you check your settings menu, there a software version in there.
Hi Frank are you saying it will tell you what version is on it in settings or is there a choice.

Software Version

It will tell you exactly what software version is loaded. Mine had its Running-In Service last week and currently states 001_119_170 which I assume is the latest version.

I'd hate to presume...

At a push it might be worth a can of decent fuel system cleaner in the tank, or 2. If you're not opening her up much it maybe getting furred up.

Last edited:
Software Version

I have spoken to my local dealership this afternoon to check and the latest software version is 001_119_170.

Latest posts

Back