Slick Plug

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have the Slick Plug installed

• No

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Only on the track

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stephen

Forum Vendor
Reaction score
I've been wondering about the slick plug. I haven't plugged mine in yet, I'm not sure id benefit from it to be honest, I only run road tyres..

But from what i've noticed a fair few of you have it plugged in?

The manual states 'Activate the SLICK riding mode only on racetracks and only when running the motorcycle on racing slicks.' and 'Once the coding plug has been inserted, all riding modes are available with increased engine power and homologation for riding the motorcycle on public roads is voided.'

Two questions:

1 Does that mean the power output is increased over the 3 standard modes with the plug in? If so I may consider fitting it..

2 What are the chances that if anything were to happen on the road - be it an accident or mechanical issue - that BMW/Your insurance company would claim the bike wasn't road safe?

1- no. Same power. I think it's blurb to do with bikes that are power restricted (they do this on the continent).

2- no. Makes no difference to insurance or warranty.

If if you are riding the bike on public roads in slick mode and have an accident that may be a different question, I would not recommend doing that.p, but having the plug inserted makes no difference to riding it in the other modes.

On your bike the slick plug is a no brainier because it activates user mode as well as slick mode.

Get it plugged in. :)

Last edited:
But if you did have an accident how would they know what mode you were in? So thats just when the bike is restricted that its not approved for road use?

Last edited:
Plug it in worry about if crash if it happens , if u hit a 15 model I'm sure bike logs speed , revs lean angel time of impact so we're prob on a losser anyway . Also slick must turn off the anti wheelie as I found out yesterday big style

But if you did have an accident how would they know what mode you were in? So thats just when the bike is restricted that its not approved for road use?

Plugging the slick plug in makes no difference to the standard modes, it only activates the user and slick mode so you can select them. If you don't select slick mode the bike will be exactly as it was before. It's no more complicated than that.

As I said before, in some territories the bikes are power restricted, so plugging in the slick plug removes the restriction (I guess). We don't have the same laws here unless the rider goes down the restricted route when they pass their test (I don't know if you can still do the licence that way?).

If you had a crash using slick mode on public roads I suspect you'd have some explaining to do, to the police. I asked my insurer about this a couple of years ago and they stated that because the plug is part of the bike (not a mod), fitting it to the bike makes no difference to insurance.

Where does the coding plug go in? I have all modes available but unable to use launch control. Any ideas why?

Coding Plug

P90165969_highRes_zpsccyxkndh.jpg

Surely if I can access all modes then launch control should work also? I must be doing something wrong if it's not working.

Launch Control

As far as I'm aware launch control is only available on the 2015/16 models with the coding plug fitted.

I've an 11 non sport so no Traction control and I use slick mode all the time come rain or shine
It's not quicker just feels more responsive

Back