Saw my first bike accident

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westiemad

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Was walking to the station yesterday and saw my first bike accident. Chap got panned by a lady turning right. He was sat off the right side and back of her in a pretty visable position, then she sort of slowed, no brake lights, like she was unsure where she was going, he was right next to her then backed off due to a traffic island which split the road for a right turn, then she indicated very late, didn't position anywhere to show what she was going to do, the indicator blinked twice, which the guy couldn't have seen as he was just starting his pass, then she swung in, scything the poor chap off onto the road. All that was like 2 seconds.

Felt quite sorry for both, woman was in shock and I guess was lost looking for the road, biker just picked the wrong moment to go. Think the first indicator blink was hidden by his helmet. Think he was ok, helped him move the bike and left details etc.

Stay safe chaps,

Cheers,

Andy

Sorry to hear that, never a good idea to overtake at a junction and always be mindful not to sit in a drivers blind spot.

This thread might develop....?

Saw an accident on Saturday afternoon riding between Leyburn and Ripon on the A6108.

As the prelude to what happened, I passed a gypsy caravan being pulled by a horse going in the opposite direction to me with a very long line of cars behind it. The heffer 'driving' the caravan (I mean the woeful excuse of a female, not the horse) was unphased by the tailback, the road is limited for overtaking options in a car so the cars were stuck doing sub 10mph....

The A6108 is a really great road to ride with lots of undulations and bends, popular with bikers, I know it very well and ride it most weeks during the good weather. There are a few sections where corners are blind so it is always a good idea to slow down to a speed so as to be able to stop within the distance you can see (familiar creed for those versed on advanced road riding techniques). That particular golden rule was not being used by an unfortunate biker coming the other way around a sweeping left hand bend this particular afternoon.... straight into the back of the last car in the procession behind the gypsy.

I stopped to offer help and slow oncoming traffic as the car involved was still in the road around the corner. Two other bikers there were doctors, so after checking if the biker was ok (she was shaken but ok) I carried on my way.

This thread might develop....?
Yep,

A couple of weeks back I went out for an evening blast, 8 miles from home I got to a (sometimes busy) double roundabout and looked across the first one and saw 4 bikes intending to make a left turn off the R/Bout, 3 of them in the correct position but the 4th was on the offside of a car that did not indicate to take the same exit as the bikes. The inevitable happened. Bike turned left, bike hit car, bike and rider went down. All involved stopped and a few cars that saw it all from behind.
It wasnt a quick off prob 30-35 mph but the rider did have his leg stuck under the bike. His/her friends helped lift the bike off. I did not stop as too many bods where there anyway.
A couple of hours later on my way home I gave thumbs up to 2 of the guys still standing there by the side of the road (with 3 bikes) I guess waiting for a van/recovery truck.
I have seen a few bikes come a cropper at this double roundabout, it is interesting to sit and watch it all develop, some riders ambitions outweigh their talent. :stupid:

Last edited:
I just got back from the Isle of Man TT, too many accidents! Normally individuals with too much CC not enough talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a little tale to tell - my niece's husband (lovely guy called Keith - heart of gold) has always wanted to be a biker dude - loves MotoGP but has never ridden a bike for more than a couple of times around a car park.

I decided to be a nice step-uncle and financed his direct access course, which he passed the week before last. He wanted a CBR600F as a 1st bike, which seemed reasonable to me, so I guaranteed his loan and we took a drive down to Portsmouth (202 miles away) on Saturday to pick one up. He rode back 150 or so miles, and my nephew took over for the last part.

Yesterday he went out for his 1st ride. I went to Matlock Bath with my daughter on her KTM RC125 and he and my nephew went over to 'the snake'. I'd just got back home, put the bike in the garage when my phone went off - I still had my helmet on with the camera recording at this stage. It was my nephew, completely in bits .. Keith had hit a curb on a bend doing about 60mph. Air ambulance turned up (although they deemed him fit enough to travel in the normal ambulance).

Turned out he's broken several ribs (from hitting the curb chest 1st), fractured several of the 'lugs' running down your spine, hanging off the vertebrae, broken his shoulder blade, significant bruising to head, shredded the skin on his lower back 'cos he didn't zip his leathers together (my old ones) but worst of all, ruptured his spleen. He's currently in hospital after having the spleen removed - poor chap. Less than 24 hours between buying his first bike and filling in his first insurance claim :(

Thats terrible Freudy. Hope he mends ok, sounds like he is quite badly bashed up.

I have a little tale to tell - my niece's husband (lovely guy called Keith - heart of gold) has always wanted to be a biker dude - loves MotoGP but has never ridden a bike for more than a couple of times around a car park.

I decided to be a nice step-uncle and financed his direct access course, which he passed the week before last. He wanted a CBR600F as a 1st bike, which seemed reasonable to me, so I guaranteed his loan and we took a drive down to Portsmouth (202 miles away) on Saturday to pick one up. He rode back 150 or so miles, and my nephew took over for the last part.

Yesterday he went out for his 1st ride. I went to Matlock Bath with my daughter on her KTM RC125 and he and my nephew went over to 'the snake'. I'd just got back home, put the bike in the garage when my phone went off - I still had my helmet on with the camera recording at this stage. It was my nephew, completely in bits .. Keith had hit a curb on a bend doing about 60mph. Air ambulance turned up (although they deemed him fit enough to travel in the normal ambulance).

Turned out he's broken several ribs (from hitting the curb chest 1st), fractured several of the 'lugs' running down your spine, hanging off the vertebrae, broken his shoulder blade, significant bruising to head, shredded the skin on his lower back 'cos he didn't zip his leathers together (my old ones) but worst of all, ruptured his spleen. He's currently in hospital after having the spleen removed - poor chap. Less than 24 hours between buying his first bike and filling in his first insurance claim :(

Sorry to hear! I wish your nephew a speedy recovery! And hope he isn't too shook up to put his helmet on once he's made a recovery

Here's Keith - after surgery. Sobering thought. We (me and my nephew (chris)) are going to try and get Keiths bike back into a workable condition for when he's up and about - he's keen to get back on :)18870068_1538666276175098_321441968_o.jpg

Poor guy, I hope he makes a fairly quick and good recovery.
It certainly is a sobering fact the damage we can do to ourselves at fairly average speeds on our bikes.
I wish him all the best and hope that he does want to get back on again.

Here's Keith - after surgery. Sobering thought. We (me and my nephew (chris)) are going to try and get Keiths bike back into a workable condition for when he's up and about - he's keen to get back on :)View attachment 2598

What sizes is he? I can't help with parts as not in the trade or an owner of a similar bike but have a fair amount of spare leathers helmets etc if his were damaged in the accident

Get well soon Keith...

Guy Martin came out well didn't he considering he was in neutral at 130 + trying to get it round the bend when he curbed it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBuup-q0xts

The blade should get pulled. McGuinness with a throttle failure and now guy with a false neutral.

Don't think the mountain course or the NW200 is the right place to try and test a new bike with major teething problems

The blade should get pulled. McGuinness with a throttle failure and now guy with a false neutral.

Don't think the mountain course or the NW200 is the right place to try and test a new bike with major teething problems

Totally agree, I thought the same.

Indeed, fyi the electronics have been replaced since McPint came off. They now run MoTeC instead of Honda ECU's.

- Sent from Mobile

Indeed, fyi the electronics have been replaced since McPint came off. They now run MoTeC instead of Honda ECU's.

- Sent from Mobile

Yes and good job too, however racers shouldn't be used as crash test dummies for these changes to be made.

Hang on, the McPint issue was the first they had with the TPS/GripPos sensors. They've assessed and switched to a new ECU after being unable to RCA the issue. 1 issue, 1 fix. Seems like they have acted appropriately to me.

Guy's gearbox/chain issue was totally different. Again that professional team will look at the evidence and fix it.

Expecting no issues with a new bike would be foolish, look at Dunlops efforts, if that Suzuki had shut down at a worse time things could have been equally bad.

- Sent from Mobile

Hang on, the McPint issue was the first they had with the TPS/GripPos sensors. They've assessed and switched to a new ECU after being unable to RCA the issue. 1 issue, 1 fix. Seems like they have acted appropriately to me.

Guy's gearbox/chain issue was totally different. Again that professional team will look at the evidence and fix it.

Expecting no issues with a new bike would be foolish, look at Dunlops efforts, if that Suzuki had shut down at a worse time things could have been equally bad.

- Sent from Mobile

I agree to a certain extent, but Guy and the blade were then pulled from the NW200 after the McPint crash, and minimal practice this TT due to the weather. I left Friday and only saw guy do 2 complete laps and 1 marshalled.

All I'm saying it the Mountain Circuit is not the place to test these bikes which have known issues. Any other short circuit guy would have gone into the gravel.

MD was seriously lucky aswell.

Latest posts

Back