S1000rr 2015 Slick Plug - Road Legal?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavey

Reaction score
Hi folks...will my bike still be road legal (in the UK) if I install the slick plug? My dealer tells me the plug is not for road use, as does the manual, but it seems lots of people install them and use them on the road?? I'm particularly interested in experimenting with the user mode but this unfortunately also requires the plug to be installed. Has anyone had any experience (negative or positive) with using a slick plug on a road bike? Any idea of what the insurance companies think about us using them on the road?? Cheers :)

Also i've heard people saying that slick mode unlocks more power than the other modes, but the manual states that both sport and race modes have access to full engine power?? Am i missing something and does slick mode actually increase HP beyond race mode??

Same power. The User mode you can change engine power. The Rain mode has reduced power. The other modes have same power.

MOT only tells you bike is road worthy not road legal. 38,000 miles, brilliant :)

thanks folks.....dare someone to ask their insurance company?!! :dread:

thanks folks.....dare someone to ask their insurance company?!! :dread:

i did the last time this topic came up, they said it is part of the bike specification so has no effect on insurance and does not need declaring. Urban myth about the slick plug being illegal on the road in the UK.

Ahaa thanks for the info.... *speedily installs slick plug!* ....i wonder why my dealer made a big deal about not using it on the roads?? .....spoil sports!!!

My dealer actually reminded me to bring the plug with me on the first service :chuncky:

Think you will find that manual states slick mode should only be used with slick tyres which give more grip than road tyres which are not road legal. I know we use it on the road but do you fancy taking on an insurance company if you bin it and it's found to be in slick? Download of the ecu will probably show some data as well. Just saying....

Hmmmm seems to be a bit of a grey area this one??! :-/ ......the bike is already ridiculously powerful in the standard modes and i'm not gonna cry if i can't use slick mode, but i think the User mode is a great feature and a shame that you need to slick plug installed to use it! :(

Have to say I have not actually used Slick or user mode even though the plug is installed, never felt the need to. I will eventually set up user mode properly and then it will most likely stay in that all the time. For the moment I am just enjoying riding the bike, will fiddle some more with it once I get to grips with whats it's got now.

Think you will find that manual states slick mode should only be used with slick tyres which give more grip than road tyres which are not road legal. I know we use it on the road but do you fancy taking on an insurance company if you bin it and it's found to be in slick? Download of the ecu will probably show some data as well. Just saying....

Which is why you have to physically install the plug rather than hit the slick button 'by mistake'.

I'm pretty sure slick mode delivers same power as race or whatever it is called, it just moves the abs/tc settings out a bit, or at least it used to.

I'm pretty sure slick mode delivers same power as race or whatever it is called, it just moves the abs/tc settings out a bit, or at least it used to.
That's right same power for both and race mode

Latest posts

Back