S1000 stolen tracking system

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been thinking about a tracker but for me it has seemed that physical security has always been the biggest deterrent. Apparently the thing that certainly used to be popular was using a big van with part of the floor cut out. Open the rear doors reverse over the bike, put pipes through the front and rear wheels, lift it up slightly and just drive off. So securing it to something is a major obstacle for people using this method.

I use an Almax chain with a high end squire lock and always connected it to something e.g. anchor or lamp post. The chain has never been hand cropped unlike virtually all other chains, they have a wall of shame on their website showing how long it took them to get through it with hand tools. It is very heavy but I would rather have heavy than weak. Almax

Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen, horrible.

Couple of things about trackers from my experience:

- think about if you really want the bike back after it has been stolen. Has it been thrashed, crashed, bits played about with etc. I'm not sure I'd want a bike back after having it nicked for a few days.

- the biketrac system is very good. Thats what I would have. I don't know about the leather / container stuff, but some work better than others, it is to do with the frequency they send on.

- I had a Merc stolen from my last house in middle of the day a few years ago. Had a tracker. Police found it in less than an hour in a car park - being watched by the gang to see if it had a tracker. After recovery the car was covered in a magnesium powder (I think) for prints, made a total mess of the inside. Keys were not found with the car so new locks and keys. Would have been quite expensive after paying the excess but because it was taken during the house burglary it all went through on one claim under the house policy.

I've got an almax chain and they are seriously good, but very heavy to take about with you on a bike.

Thanks , you made a good point too. I spent 3 hours walking around the area were the bike was taken looking for it even if inside i knew.... Now its gone so i try to get another one in kind of same conditions

Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen, horrible.

Couple of things about trackers from my experience:

think about if you really want the bike back after it has been stolen. Has it been thrashed, crashed, bits played about with etc. I'm not sure I'd want a bike back after having it nicked for a few days.

- the biketrac system is very good. Thats what I would have. I don't know about the leather / container stuff, but some work better than others, it is to do with the frequency they send on.

- I had a Merc stolen from my last house in middle of the day a few years ago. Had a tracker. Police found it in less than an hour in a car park - being watched by the gang to see if it had a tracker. After recovery the car was covered in a magnesium powder (I think) for prints, made a total mess of the inside. Keys were not found with the car so new locks and keys. Would have been quite expensive after paying the excess but because it was taken during the house burglary it all went through on one claim under the house policy.

I've got an almax chain and they are seriously good, but very heavy to take about with you on a bike.

I partly agree with this however and i have experience here, imo its not just about recovering your bike. My friends house was burgled in October last years, the scum ransacked his home took both sets of keys for his bike and mine, they were taken along with a substantial amount of jewellery. My friend recovered his bike a few days later mine is still missing. If i had had a tracker not only is it possible that the bike would have been found but more importantly to me and my friend we may have caught the LITTLE FVKER SCUMBAGS that burgled his house in the first place.

Biketrac is what im looking to fitting to my next bike....

I partly agree with this however and i have experience here, imo its not just about recovering your bike. My friends house was burgled in October last years, the scum ransacked his home took both sets of keys for his bike and mine, they were taken along with a substantial amount of jewellery. My friend recovered his bike a few days later mine is still missing. If i had had a tracker not only is it possible that the bike would have been found but more importantly to me and my friend we may have caught the LITTLE FVKER SCUMBAGS that burgled his house in the first place.

Biketrac is what im looking to fitting to my next bike....

Totally agree Matt. I was working on the assumption the bike would get recovered and the LITTLE FVKER SCUMBAGS were AWOL. Although it seems these days even if the bike was found with one of them doing a jig on top wearing your nicked helmet the plod would be unable to prove it was them that nicked the bike originally, and if they did, the LITTLE FVKER SCUMBAGS would be unlikely to do time for it.

its shit tho, cos if someone steals your bike and you do get it back smashed up and they don't get anyone for it guess who foots the bill? yep us AND it stays on your insurance for 5 years.
my missus had her car stolen from our old house, we got the car back but it crippled her when it came to insuring anything

burn you thieving C@*ts

I had my beloved s1000.stolen last Wednesday,still pist off gutted and speechless......
I'm asking about tracking system which should make the bike safer.... I know that it can be traced from underground car park and container but I've heard it won't work on a leather cover.
Does any one know if its the case?
Many thanks Fabio

Trackers are good for recovering bike (in some cases) - but they will not prevent it from being nicked. So trackers are only effective post theft. unless you plaster your bike with tracker stickers. In which case you don't really need the actual tracker do you? plus they log your speeds and locations.

This is something i worry about all the time. the key to theft is prevention, if you love your bike - you have to be smarter and make it harder to nick. My Bike is garaged when i am not using it, padlocked to the floor, garage doors locked and even an old banger to block the drive.

There is nothing that will stop your bike being nicked out and about unless you padlock it down. Make it the harder option thieves are lazy and will always take the quick job over the hassle unless they are specifically looking for your type bike. Down side is good chains are heavy and you can leave them in situ for work but not great for travelling with.

Having a dog warning sign on your house can reduce your chance of burglary by up to 60% - maybe it will also work with tracker labels on bikes - most bike i know of with trackers fail to display the tracker sticker, which i think is the most effective part of the system.

I have been thinking about a pager system that alerts you if anyone touches the bike. For when i am out and about.

+1 on the bike trac, very prompt notifications from them if i forget to turn it off, it also logs your rides and you can log in and check routes for 3 months after, i phoned them before i bought it to make sure they wouldn't report on potential law breaking speed offences, just in case ;-)

Latest posts

Back