Revving to warm-up

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
On trackdays I often hear Yamahas revving up the bike between 2-5k rpms for 5mins or so. By the looks of it, it's done by ECU itself as I see no throttle input.

Can anyone explain what's the reason do to that? Only to warm up the cold oil?

Last edited:
Building oil pressure and getting it round the engine faster.

Its not a stock feature so probably something they have enabled with the Woolwich map.

Lambo's and others do a high idle at first before settling.

Personally I think its more for show than anything useful.

- Alex

Last edited:
GP bikes go through a whole procedure for warming up including running through the gears up to quite high revs. Its to warm up all the mechanicals and so on as well as the engine itself. It probably would benefit everyone doing it properly but I can imagine some funny or angry looks from others at a trackday when Nigel Novice Group is reving his 210bhp S1000RR to 7500rpm :)

Last edited:
pays dividends to make sure your bike is well upto temp before using it in anger,my bike always gets a good heat soak before 1st session,it was something i was told a long time ago by my engine builder,although i dont sit there revving the tits off it in the morning,thats so ******* annoying 1st thing in the morning!!

bring it upto temp and wait for thermostat to open so water+oil get nice and hot

pays dividends to make sure your bike is well upto temp before using it in anger,my bike always gets a good heat soak before 1st session,it was something i was told a long time ago by my engine builder,although i dont sit there revving the tits off it in the morning,thats so ******* annoying 1st thing in the morning!!

bring it upto temp and wait for thermostat to open so water+oil get nice and hot

Yeah this - after 8:30am - I start mine and leave it to idle, gently warming through till the fan cuts in (100degrees). I then turn it off and leave it to heat soak...then I know that come 9am it's all warm enough that sitting in pitlane and then doing the sighting laps it will be all good to go.

You're burning off condensates etc if this time. Oil (not water) should be over 100degrees to burn them off.

Last edited:
Warm-up

+2. My bikes are always warmed up prior to the first session on track.

Yup. My normal thing is leave it idle till 65/70 degrees. Turn off. 20 mins later when it's a few mins to go out start it again.

One time I didn't I went out on morning warm up. Bike at 50ish degrees leaving pits, coming out of 2nd corner 3rd gear went through side of engine. Maybe coincidence but I never done it again

I do warm up the motorbike all the time, was just wondering if BMW also has this periodical revving mode. I think I saw that on HP version, but might be wrong.

I do warm up the motorbike all the time, was just wondering if BMW also has this periodical revving mode. I think I saw that on HP version, but might be wrong.
Can be caused by race cams and it hunting the idle because of them.

- Alex

Latest posts

Back