removing immobilizer?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r25sti

Reaction score
is there anyway to remove it and the key? mine played up on the last track day and off to Almeria early next year and may not get a chance to test it. i do have the alpha switches and keyless kit sat in a box but i think this still needs the key taped to the switch to allow the immobilizer to do its thing.

The key sits in a plastic box near the receiver/sender in order for the switch to work.
BMW can remove the immobiliser completely but make u sign declaration that it won’t go on road as no longer covered in insurance issues with the bmw anti theft device removed. As all Bikes ( except the hp4 race) are sold with an immobiliser by bmw , ur insurance company takes this into account when quoting .
Even though it obviously for track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cheers. i will give bmw motorad a call tomorrow. the box thing wont help as there's an issue with the immobilizer and or key connection.

There?s no battery in the bike keys, it?s passive rfid. The active charging stuff on the car keys is to charge the remote central locking features.

When you say yours played up I?m assuming you mean the ignition turned on with an error and wouldn?t start?

If you order a new key from bm it will be coded to your bike, and if you fit the alpha keyless kit, that replaces the bmw immobiliser ring (I think?) so that would mean both immobiliser components had been replaced... if you still had issues after that it?s an ecu problem... or a bad connection

The key sits in the small plastic box inline to the ews , this allows for the key to send a message from the keyschip to the receptacle that sends to the immobiliser.
Not to be confused with battery fobs that switch alarms on and off via pressing the button. They are gen 2 I believe that last used the key button like on cars.
If u have a spare key then seperate it from the plastic , u now have a small motherboard and a small green chip. This is the sender. As with all mother boards / circuit boards , without power they are redundant . The chip can not store power itself but is stored in the irf ( I may have that wrong ) it?s a battery, basically like a coil that stores small power pulses enough to send a signal.

Or at least that?s what I?ve seen ...

4493de73bd9368e052058e021f0246b7.jpg

That?s an rfid chip from a bike key, no battery

?Passive RFID systems use tags with no internal power source and instead are powered by the electromagnetic energy transmitted from an RFID reader.? (Googled that :) )

alpha Racing

Have a look at the alpha Racing website as they have downloadable instructions for their ignition conversion / EWS kits for each of the different model years. Either way it's a simple kit which just removes the need to use a key and is ideal for track and race bikes.

As u can see the ews requires the keys chip to be near the immobiliser box to receive the signal from the chip ... all immobilisers work this way if the chip is in the key .
If no power surely the chip can not ?send? the signal .... :science baffles me... but intrigues # dr oli ??

The antenna ring sends power to ?excite? the chip and then read its code. Similar to the technology used for wireless charging mobiles.

Also similar to the contactless chip in your credit card, there?s no battery in a credit card [emoji848]

all these are ok but im looking at removing the immobilizer, not bothered about keyless or not. my immobilizer started to play up so want shot of it and having the key in a box near the ignition will not help.

all these are ok but im looking at removing the immobilizer, not bothered about keyless or not. my immobilizer started to play up so want shot of it and having the key in a box near the ignition will not help.

Yea but as I said if you put the alpha kit on and got a new key then you have replaced both of the major immobiliser components... I?d just start with a new key.

Did you get the ews! Fault on the dash?

Yea but as I said if you put the alpha kit on and got a new key then you have replaced both of the major immobiliser components... I’d just start with a new key.

Did you get the ews! Fault on the dash?

yes the EWS. isnt the point of keeping the key on the bike is for it to connect with the immobilizer coil that wraps around the barrel?. i thought this was the normal part to fail and not the key. im trying to remove the coil if poss. ive just asked bmw motorad and they are looking into removing the immobilizer all together.

yes the EWS. isnt the point of keeping the key on the bike is for it to connect with the immobilizer coil that wraps around the barrel?. i thought this was the normal part to fail and not the key. im trying to remove the coil if poss. ive just asked bmw motorad and they are looking into removing the immobilizer all together.

I was just thinking a key is cheaper, and as far as I?m aware the alpha kit replaces the coil with their own?

I?d be interested in seeing how you get on with bmw :)

I was just thinking a key is cheaper, and as far as I’m aware the alpha kit replaces the coil with their own?

I’d be interested in seeing how you get on with bmw :)

from what ive read the bmw immobilizer coil has to stay with the ECU as there matched, this is why the key is kept with the bike. the alpha kit just replaces the switches.
BMW said there get back to me within couple of days, i do know it wasn't possible when the beemer first come out as i have friends that tried back then but hopefully things have changed.

from what ive read the bmw immobilizer coil has to stay with the ECU as there matched, this is why the key is kept with the bike. the alpha kit just replaces the switches.
BMW said there get back to me within couple of days, i do know it wasn't possible when the beemer first come out as i have friends that tried back then but hopefully things have changed.

As far as I?m aware the coil isn?t matched, it?s just a sensor, the key is matched to the ecu and the coil just creates and receives signals...

Do you have a spare key?

I?ve just remembered
I have a customer who had a similar issue to this... he?s actually a member on this forum.

He brought his hp4 to us for a service and half the times I turned the ignition on it wouldn?t start (with ews warning)

He had only just bought the bike so hadn?t noticed this happening.

He took the bike away as he had a track day booked in the next day or so and returned to us a few days later, when using the spare key he had the fault never occurred but when using the original it was hit and miss...

Last edited:
As far as I’m aware the coil isn’t matched, it’s just a sensor, the key is matched to the ecu and the coil just creates and receives signals...

Do you have a spare key?

I’ve just remembered
I have a customer who had a similar issue to this... he’s actually a member on this forum.

He brought his hp4 to us for a service and half the times I turned the ignition on it wouldn’t start (with ews warning)

He had only just bought the bike so hadn’t noticed this happening.

He took the bike away as he had a track day booked in the next day or so and returned to us a few days later, when using the spare key he had the fault never occurred but when using the original it was hit and miss...

i will have a look to see if i have a spare.
cheers

Latest posts

Back