Reliability? Known faults??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanRR

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of owners getting lots of different faults with their S1000RR's.

It's got me wondering, what should I be expecting or looking out for? I have a 2011 model so it's shouldn't have the teething issues the early 2010 and 2012 models have right? Or does the 2011 have it's own set of gremlins? I read on one slight the 2011 can soon suffer clutch issues and the starter switch die, also the engine can blow easily?! This isn't right surely???

Thanks in advance for advise guys

I have one of the early 2010. No issues at all apart from the labels on the left hand switchgear fading. I had it changed once before but it's happened again, this time within 1000 miles. No wet use and kept indoors.
But it doesn't bother me anymore. When the bike is clean it still looks brand new. it has 8.5k miles on it and no other issues.
The thing about forums is that people will only usually post about the problems and it's out of proportion.

I know what u mean DanRR. i just bought mine and pick her up in a few weeks, but looking at the forums and all the probs im wondering if i did the right thing? but like Jovie said, people only post up the snags on these forums, so fingers crossed mine is not a lemon!

I read on the internet the world was gonna end in 2012....WTF , ran up a big bill on my visa for fuck all ;)

I've got a 2012 with 2200 on the clock only issue
is I have play in the sprocket carrier and they are
replacing the rubber Cush and sprocket carrier apart
from that its faultless

I bought one early in 2010-only issue I have had was the left switchgear replaced under warranty,and I still have the bike.(203 rwhp)
I bought a 2011 for the track,thrashed that for over 5000 miles on track.The only problem I had with that one was it ONLY had 190rwhp!
I thought I had a problem with the gearbox.I changed the quickshifter,fitted a factory pro shift spring,tried different rearsets-changed my boots and the problems went away!
I now have a 2012 for the track.Front Calipers were leaking,BMW replaced under warranty-although it took about 5 weeks because they had never had that problem before,so they held no stock.Oh,and this one had 202rwhp at 500 miles.

Il admit, you can go to any owners sight and find loads of complaints about any bike.. but the S1000RR issues seem to be pretty major, engines blow, clutches die, electrics fail... is it really that bad? or just bad luck? it has got me a little worried but I guess only time will tell..

Hi

My 2011 switchgear died, starter button dead, trip wouldn't reset. Only covered 1900 miles. My ZZr11 has never let me down in 20 years.......so far the BMW customer service have been average at best, denying that there is a major problem with the switchgear and yet i have read there has been a recall in the USA.....bit disappointing.

My switch gear on both sides have been replaced, My fuel tank cap has been replaced because of corrosion and now my gearbox is playing up.

gearbox? at what mileage?

8000miles. False neutrals with the quick shifter, excessive engine hesitation with the quickshifter and difficult to change gear manually. Those are all intermittent problems.

oh great now im paranoid, i pick my bike up on tuesday, was looking forward to it untill i saw this!

Latest posts

Back