Recommend a Torx Set

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billo01

Reaction score
I'm getting my 2015 RR next week having traded from a FireBlade, I notice most of the fastners are Torx type, anyone recommend a tool set for the job and best place to buy?

My first job will be fitting an EvoTech rad/oil guard and I believe the fairing has to come off for this.

I purchased a set from the bay, Sykes Pickavant. 15.99 for the same reason. Remeber you need Torx Plus not plain old Torx.

It's a nice touch that BMW use Titanium bolts in the engine.

I'm getting my 2015 RR next week having traded from a FireBlade, I notice most of the fastners are Torx type, anyone recommend a tool set for the job and best place to buy?

My first job will be fitting an EvoTech rad/oil guard and I believe the fairing has to come off for this.

Glad you're getting the bike next week. I'm waiting on my guards arriving and noticed the torx heads last night when I was fitting the axle sliders. Think ill purchase a set too so that I can fit my BMW carbon belly at ?1000 plus vat.

Yeah right.

I purchased a set from the bay, Sykes Pickavant. 15.99 for the same reason. Remeber you need Torx Plus not plain old Torx.

nice bit of info about the torques plus

I can't claim discovery of that info, but I am passing it on.:encouragement: when you place a torx bit into a bolt or screw head on our bikes and then try a torx plus in the same place, you can feel that the plus is a nicer fit.

Thanks for the info. Going to buy

Cheers all for the information, I'll get myself a set ordered. Is the Halfords set the torx plus? I have some vouchers I need to offload

Almost there for delivery, this coming Saturday can't wait.

I got a full set from Halfords a few years ago and they are 3/8 drive. However, I found that the T25 and T30 were a bit too 'bulky' for my liking and I got 1/4 drive ones from the bay. An example - If you try to remove the front sprocket cover (on the 2012), the 3/8 drive one wont fit into the hole as the screw is recessed, but the 1/4 drive one fits a treat.

HTH

Cheers
Simon

Wouldn't touch halfords stuff, overpriced. Machine Mart do an excellent set which I bought for the same reason as you when I got my S1000. Check online

the good thing about Halfords is the lifetime guarantee, ive broke a few and they swap them straight away. that's good enough for me

I might be wrong but lifetime guarantee only applies to their advanced professional range. Checking their website, the Torx/Allan set is thirty odd quid and has half the items that the machine mart one has and it's just under ?24. I stand to be corrected

I've just fitted a full exhaust. Rears Sets. Tail tidy. Full set of crash bungs. Levers and rad guards and have not found a single torx plus bolt On my 2015. Torx plus will fit into a torx socket head it will bite into the curves but not extend far enough And will round off the head. Check carefully before using torx plus on torx bolts

I have the Halfords professional kit. My bike has been stripped and built a few times using these tools...no problem with the tools and no problem with them fitting the BMW torx. No idea if it's torx plus or not.

I have halfords professional kit got it on a deal last year lifetime guarantee great stuff and the torx fit fine in my bike

I've just fitted a full exhaust. Rears Sets. Tail tidy. Full set of crash bungs. Levers and rad guards and have not found a single torx plus bolt On my 2015. Torx plus will fit into a torx socket head it will bite into the curves but not extend far enough And will round off the head. Check carefully before using torx plus on torx bolts

I nipped into the garage last night to open my new torx plus set and try them for fit. They seem to fit ok and feel snug enough. But according to Wiki - Standard Torx drivers can be used to drive Torx Plus screws, but not to full torque because of the loose fit. Torx Plus drivers will not fit into standard Torx screws.

Latest posts

Back