Rant: Never buying privately again...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Jay - I'm in 2 minds...I really don't want to go this way and potentially into civil court.

If they make a suitable offer, close to ?1k I will happily accept that and get everything fixed myself. I don't need to use BMW for the fixing after all...

Hmmmm 45 quid reluctant reduction and asking a grand... good luck Alex..I think you may have to show your hand... a veiled threat may be the way to go...youll know best how to put that into words

Sent from Galaxy S7

Melanies car, 2 months old to her has blown the Turbo about 1hr ago...looking anything 300 to a grand..dont you just hate second hand cars

Sent from Galaxy S7

Thats crap, Stu...you can't sue her :)

Late edit, signal/brain fail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Basic principles of private sale - the vehicle must be "as described" the seller is under no obligation to disclose faults, but any statements he makes must be true. If it goes to court, the issues are likely to be what statements were made verbally (he cannot deny the advert), and what is objectively meant by those statements - e.g. does "fantastic condition" warrant that the vehicle is both cosmetically and mechanically sound?

Yeah he's confirmed it in writing (the issues). Its a slam dunk as I'd explicitly asked about any defects.

Last edited:
We'll he's offered ?450 'towards the wheels'.
I recommended ?900 after costing up eBay wheels and a ZF maintenance kit for the sump. Having outlined where he is in breach of the law.
He's rejected that in 30seconds flat.
Wooo fun times.
I can afford run with this, can he? :)

Never forget the ultimate principle of civil law - you cannot sue a straw man. In other words it is only worth suing somebody if they have the money to satisfy the judgment, are bothered about CCJs or have sufficient assets that bailiffs can seize. You seem to have a very strong case, but it is important to consider whether or not you would be likely to get your money if you sue him.

N.B. I am not trying to talk you out of suing, just make sure you do your homework.

It's a good point but I gave them 7k in cash and they've not replaced the car, plus there is a 120d on the drive.

Offer is now up to 650. He is basically offering to cover the cost of the wheels I've found on eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-3-ser...sport-18-staggered-alloy-wheels-/131951755895

I'm tempted...hassle factor etc....as I don't have to buy these alloys ;)

Those wheels / tyres are a good price if they are as advertised, a few marks are inevitable, I think I'd take his offer.....

I've accepted the offer - I would win in court but I just want to move on. I intend to send the details to VOSA.

Latest posts

Back