raceshift sore toe. :)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r25sti

Reaction score
anyone else get a sore big toe from using race/reverse shift on the gen 3, qs and blipper?

As it happens yes,went out Saturday and Sunday probably covered more miles than normal due to taking advantage of the good weather,thought at first my boots maybe passed it.

How many miles has your bike covered ?.

Mine went in for it’s first service last week and I did explain to the dealership that my use the quick shift during running in was a little conservative as I didn’t want to over do it until it was run in and that I found it to be a little harsh...their explanation was that its perfectly normal and it will loosen up in time.

my bikes done 1200 miles now but only 400 in race shift which was all done this weekend. i just wondered if the up shifts and down shifts require the same pressure. mine defo feels harder up shifting into a lower gear than it did before going into a higher gear. if you see what i mean.

I think it's harder to shift in race bit it's just the lever effect is shorter. It's more you'll get used to it than it'll loosen

My mileage is almost on a par with yours,at first I would use it occasionally 3-4–5-6. I was just trying to be a little sympathetic to the motor not trying to shock load it with clumsy changes in low gears.but after the first service I thought it was time to increase the usage as the handbook states (p152) that all gear changes can be made 70-80 % of the time using shift assist.

Im unsure if that’s a recommendation or an option,it would be interesting to find out if conventional gear changes during normal riding conditions are less stressful on the engine/ box than using shift assist.

I never had any such issues with my gen 1 bike so the shorter lever may well be the reason.

Race Shift

I?ve been using race/reverse shift on my S1000RR since new and never had any issues after 7,000+ track miles. As for the electronic Shift Assist it works far better at higher revs and when positive pressure is applied to the lever. For normal road and trackday riding you really don?t need to worry about stressing the engine/gearbox especially once run in.

Latest posts

Back