Race Abroad, which one?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rm4Two

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm a big fan or World Superbike & MotoGP and, I'd like to attend one over seas. Which IYO is the better event to attend; MotoGp at SilverStone on WSBK at Donington Park?

Silverstone the best circuit in England in my opinion for the rider , for the watcher not so good as limited spotting places however facilities at silverstone out do anywhere and it?s closest to me so I might be biased a little.

Thx for the input Jay. Much appreciated!

Though I haven't seen WSB at Donington Park, I would recommend MotoGP at Silverstone.

I went a couple of years ago for the qualifying and had an absolutely fantastic day!
Did the VIP pass, which worked out good value for qualifying.

As Jay says the facilities etc there are excellent, and personally, I think it's just that bit more "special" to see/hear MotoGP

Silverstone MotoGP is great but really you need a grandstand seat not general access as its really flat and unless you are above ground you don't get a good view. Its also chuffing large so be prepared for LONG walks or use the buses that ferry people around or bring a bicycle. We normally camp at the Golf Club which is really close to the circuit and has great facilities. Not been to Donington for a bit but used to love it and I live very near. They really messed it up though when they bid for F1 and got rid of the grassy area down from Craner. The facilities were never that good but Ive seen great races there including Scott Redding win the 125 GP

Races around Europe are ace too. Mugello MotoGP has got to be the best, way more fun than Misano. Valencia is mad (especially Cheste town on the Saturday night). LeMans and Assen are fun and very easy to get to from the UK - you get the idea

Races around Europe are ace too. Mugello MotoGP has got to be the best, way more fun than Misano. Valencia is mad (especially Cheste town on the Saturday night). LeMans and Assen are fun and very easy to get to from the UK - you get the idea
Yeah some of those are on my bucket list but, I have to start somewhere. Having been to the UK once before and loved it, I figured I start there :) .

Just spotted you are in Arizona. The joy of Mugello is that its only a few miles from Florence which is one of Italy's most beautiful cities so dead easy to do a seriously good holiday. Misano is very close to Tavullia so you can do a Rossi pilgrimage. Silverstone is ideal for visiting Northampton or maybe Milton Keynes which is not quite so alluring!

Just spotted you are in Arizona. The joy of Mugello is that its only a few miles from Florence which is one of Italy's most beautiful cities so dead easy to do a seriously good holiday. Misano is very close to Tavullia so you can do a Rossi pilgrimage. Silverstone is ideal for visiting Northampton or maybe Milton Keynes which is not quite so alluring!

Thx Bertie! That's what I'm talking about :)

Ridden Silverstone 5/6 times, flat , fast but found it a bit boring, probably because it's so wide. Went to watch GP there once, never again, viewing is terrible.

Donington in my opinion is MUCH better for viewing and fantastic for riding.

WSBK & MotoGP

Ridden Silverstone 5/6 times, flat , fast but found it a bit boring, probably because it's so wide. Went to watch GP there once, never again, viewing is terrible.

Donington in my opinion is MUCH better for viewing and fantastic for riding.

+1. Donington Park is by far the best circuit to ride or race at in the UK.

As for visiting a WSBK or MotoGP round go for any of the Italian or Spanish events as they are far better than anything in the UK.

From an overall experience POV, then Silverstone rules for me. I usually camp at woodlands which is pretty good fun. Silverstone is (as has been mentioned before) pretty big, which means they can get plenty of entertainment and 'stuff to do' on the circuit. Theres usually plenty of apparel stores scattered about, quite a few private traders selling all kinds of biking related stuff, manufacturer stands (although there were fewer there this year), the large centre stage which hosts entertainment most nights along with the Day Of Champions auctions on the Thursday.

Donnington might be better from a riding and spectating POV (which, I guess is the real reason why you go to the track!) but as a whole, Silverstone wins hands down as a worthwhile event.

Thx everyone for your input; lots of great info here! It sounds like my decision may have been made for me with MotoGP moving to Donington? Nevertheless, there's always F1 for Silverstone :calm:. Now what I need to do is see if I can plan my trip with enough time to do a track day before or after the event!!!

Motogp just announce their 2018 schedule. Of course the British GP circuit is flagged as TBD :disturbed: but, at least it's back to back with Misano. I can do two rounds in one trip LOL.

RoundEventCircuitRace day
1QATAR GPLosail International Circuit18th MARCH
2ARGENTINA GPTermas de Rio Hondo08th APRIL
3AMERICAS GPCircuit of the Americas22nd APRIL
4SPANISH GPCircuito de Jerez06th MAY
5FRENCH GPLe Mans20th MAY
6ITALIAN GPAutodromo di Mugello03rd JUNE
7CATALUNYA GPCircuit de Barcelona-Catalunya17th JUNE
8DUTCH GPTT Circuit Assen01st JULY
9GERMAN GPSachsenring15th JULY
10CZECH GPAutomotodrom Brno05th AUGUST
11AUSTRIAN GPRed Bull Ring - Spielberg12th AUGUST