Quickshifter kill times

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cropsprayer

Reaction score
I've fitted an aftermarket QS to my gen 2 bike for track use and having a couple of issues which I've not experienced on previous bikes. I'm getting a lot of false neutrals going from 4th to 5th and either the same or not even shifting up from 5th to 6th. I was advised to increase the kill times for those two upshifts but it doesn't seem to be helping. I've noticed it's only at high revs and never happens if I shift up at say 8-10k.

any ideas or similar experiences? It's a bazzaz shifter if that helps.
thanks, Rob.

did it have the same issue with the shift assist?.....i had a older style bazzaz qs on my gen 1 and the end of last year started getting the same between 4th and 5th. firstly i replaced the qs for a hmss and still had the same so i have now replaced the detent spring on the gear selector and so far had no more issues. it slightly harder to change gear but no false neutrals.

Hi, not sure as I only used the bike for one track day before swapping out for an after market as. There was a noticeable lag on some upshifts with the shift assist that put me off that. I'll look into the detent spring idea though I must admit to not knowing too much about that :)

Ok thanks just read it all and sounds like your problem is same as mine. What happens if you clutch up Shift? Mine seems to be fine which is why I'm blaming the QS and nothing else.

I don't get false neutrals, I have the std shift assist which is fine for road type riding but not for extreme track use . As I'm hurtling down the straight on full throttle in forth and go for 5th at 12k the engine just cuts I feel the spring tension on the lever travelling but no gear change occurs I'm still in 4th, if i hit the selector again the same occurs. Spoke to a BM race team today and they say to bin the standard shift assist and use the expensive top of the range Hm race system

Ok well I get what you are describing between 5th and 6th as the qs cuts the spark (you can feel / hear it) but I'm still in 5th. 4th to 5th inevitably ends up in a false neutral but as you say only when I'm flat out......I was at silverstone yesterday and wanted to grab an early 5th at certain points and it was faultless. It's not related to the shift assist though as I've already moved to aftermarket and the bazzaz is the same quality strain gauge type shifter to the HM (I've used both on other bikes with no issue at all).

I can try the spring but wouldn't that mean it should be the same if I do a manual / clutch upshift?

I've just made and adaptor to replace the standard shift sensor to establish that the gear box is fine by going back to the old tried and tested way of changing gear. I find that when I experience a failed flat shift I have pressed the lever to it's full travel on the sensor spring. On the odd occasion it has felt as though the lever has moved on it's own as I try and shift at 13k+ (loss of lever resistance is felt) I think this was more so with the standard OE detent spring. With the heavier spring it feels as though I have all the shifter action activated but have to wait a moment for it to spring into gear. I may have multiple issues my X wife reckoned I had lol

mine worked fine if i didn't use the qs but the extra load with using the qs made it miss or jump out of gear. i did also replace the shift shaft as these were know to have issues too. the fork part on the end can become sticky and not grab the next gear quick enough. when i ordered the shift shaft cotswold bmw asked why i needed it as it seemed odd to order this part but when they looked online to order it they said there was 8 sold uk wide by bmw last year so it made it a common fault.

1. replaced the qs from bazzaz to hmss this still missed and jumped gears. 2. replaced detent and gear selector shaft with the hmss. this seems to have sorted it. 3 track days on and all good.

mine worked fine if i didn't use the qs but the extra load with using the qs made it miss or jump out of gear. i did also replace the shift shaft as these were know to have issues too. the fork part on the end can become sticky and not grab the next gear quick enough. when i ordered the shift shaft cotswold bmw asked why i needed it as it seemed odd to order this part but when they looked online to order it they said there was 8 sold uk wide by bmw last year so it made it a common fault.

1. replaced the qs from bazzaz to hmss this still missed and jumped gears. 2. replaced detent and gear selector shaft with the hmss. this seems to have sorted it. 3 track days on and all good.

So hopefully the slector shaft should be my last job to fix this issue, what year is your bike

Ok thanks guys looks like its worth giving the detent spring change a go then......shame as I'm off to portimao next weekend so my bike heads off this Saturday and no way ill get one and be able to fit it before Saturday now :-(

this is the business end of the shift shaft, the part that slides under the spring tension on mine feels slightly notchy. the new one i fit is smooth to push in and out. not sure if this was the issue but seems ok for now.

Mine is a gen 1 2010 model I have already done the timing chain tensioner bmw mod to cure the initial chain rattle on start up

Latest posts

Back