Question to you racing types

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only used 2 sets at Cartagena, but I was on my RC Cup bike and only doing 2:00 laps. Pirelli SC1 front and SC2 rear are the only compounds available in my sizes and the worked really well on the little bike, incredible grip at full lean.

1:37 is bloody quick!

We thought about running Pirelli front Dunlop rear quite a few times.
What I would advise, what people will tell me that they can't afford it etc. Is BUY GOOD warmers.
Again, a good quality thermostatic warmer, is the difference between a lap 1 or 2 off and 500 pound bill whilst stuck abroad.
We use Capit, but not the uber or equally cheap stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd like a razz around on one of those. :):) bet they are a fun little thing.

We thought about running Pirelli front Dunlop rear quite a few times.
What I would advise, what people will tell me that they can't afford it etc. Is BUY GOOD warmers.
Again, a good quality thermostatic warmer, is the difference between a lap 1 or 2 off and 500 pound bill whilst stuck abroad.
We use Capit, but not the uber or equally cheap stuff.

+1 I've just switched to Capit, mainly because they were the only people who could supply small warmers for the 390 at short notice. They were so much better than my previous warmers that I bought a pair for the BMW too.
When you feel the rims after an hour they are lovely and warm, tyres are toasty!

Paul, it's an absolute hoot to ride. No power but ridiculous handling and corner speed, it's around 43bhp and 138kg. Desperately trying to reorganise shifts so I can race it with NG this year.
You're welcome to have a shot if we ever meet at a track sometime.

Eddie - was the 2.05s at Jerez on your little bike?

Haha, I wish! No it was on my RC8-R Track, not as quick as I would have liked (I was aiming for sub 2:00) and I think I left a few seconds out there after I crashed on the 3rd morning. The gearbox crapped itself going into Turn 5 and I ended up running wide into the gravel.

I haven't taken the 390 anywhere other than Cadwell (1:50) and Cartagena (2:00) yet.

With coaching I bet we could get you a lot of time off of that time around both tracks :):)

With coaching I bet we could get you a lot of time off of that time around both tracks :):)

Aye, maybe a few seconds if I ate less pies too. :)

I have a day booked with Gary Walton at Cadwell soon so we'll see where I can get to. The RC Cup fastest lap at last years BSB was 1:46.9 and lap record is a frankly astonishing 1:44.7. At Cartagena the only info I could find was that decent race pace on the 390 is around 1:56-1:58.

I don't have the strict tyre rules so can run the stickier supercorsas instead of the standard M7RRs so thats got to be worth some time. Hopefully, changing the gearing can give me a bit more drive out of the slower corners and another couple of 10ths. Bigger balls will get me the rest of the way!

NG open 500 newcomer lap record is 1:47.23 set in 2013 so that's the goal right there.

Talking of tyres, i saw a very "interesting" one yesterday. It was used on track
fbcfdefc563ea23e7b95ac7405fbdcae.jpg

Talking of tyres, i saw a very "interesting" one yesterday. It was used on track
fbcfdefc563ea23e7b95ac7405fbdcae.jpg

Haha, yes. Back to the topic seeing as we've derailed your thread somewhat.

That doesn't look very healthy! Looks as if there are chunks missing.

There are Super Talent Asia lads in my garage running 1:57's at Jerez. I can lift the bikes with the 13yr old lads sat on! Lol

- Sent from Mobile

It's ridiculous isn't it. At Valencia last year I was in the fast group doing 1:53s and trying like f**k. The Marc VDS Spanish team were there with Moto3 bikes and made us all look silly, elbow down round the outside.

Chunks missing in some areas and not used in others

Race Tyres

I personally have always preferred Metzeler and Pirelli race tyres. I've never gotten on with Dunlops and statistically I've crashed more times using their race tyres then any other brand.

Latest posts

Back