Prospective owner saying hello.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDCobra

Reaction score
As per the title, just signing on to say hello.

I thought I wrote a post yesterday but it seems to have disappeared, perhaps I pressed the wrong buttons.

I'm hoping to be buying an S1000RR this year, given my budget I'll probably be looking about 20111-12, I believe there was an update in 2012, would like to know how can I tell if I'm buying a pre or post update bike, what are the changes?
I guess I should also ask which model is preferable, I'm assuming the later one but that's not always the case.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Cobra, welcome along to the forum. There were some changes to do with the swingarm and geometry. I can't remember the details but someone should be along who knows more than me (that's most folks lol).

Hi Cobra, welcome along to the forum. There were some changes to do with the swingarm and geometry. I can't remember the details but someone should be along who knows more than me (that's most folks lol).

Thanks for the welcome Mr Sayer, early days yet, I'm sure it's covered in some magazines I have, maybe dig them out later. I know there were quite big changes made last year but I won't be in that league, maybe next time.

The 2012 saw the greatest number of changes, but I *think* the "heavy" crank was from 2011 onwards. 2012 saw ECU revisions that allow you to currently retrofit ABS Pro, for a price, which the <2011's can't do.

The styling revisions saw a slimmer tail unit as the main differentiator....

There's got to be a list somewhere...I'll find that and link to it.

Welcome.

The 2012 saw the greatest number of changes, but I *think* the "heavy" crank was from 2011 onwards. 2012 saw ECU revisions that allow you to currently retrofit ABS Pro, for a price, which the <2011's can't do.

The styling revisions saw a slimmer tail unit as the main differentiator....

There's got to be a list somewhere...I'll find that and link to it.

Welcome.

Thanks Alex, I'll look forward to that, seems like their is good reasons for going to the 2012, I'll check out the tail units.

Tail units can be swapped - but the frame has a key difference JimmyMac on here pointed out. The pre-facelift has a diamond shape for the lower swingarm mount (lowest big hole in the frame) the facelift is an oval.

Tail units can be swapped - but the frame has a key difference JimmyMac on here pointed out. The pre-facelift has a diamond shape for the lower swingarm mount (lowest big hole in the frame) the facelift is an oval.
Thanks Alex, just had a look at some photos and that is an obvious feature (now I know it's there). And luckily the one I have my eye on is the later bike.

The geo changes were designed to make the front feel more planted - that's why I sought a deal on a 2012 rather than an earlier one. The other bits are bonus' to me.

Latest posts

Back