Preload - Ride height and geometry

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought it was just the case of setting sag to 25-30mm then if your bottoming the forks you may be able to increase the compressions dampening but you most likely have a inadequate spring, don't see what geo has to do with sag, geo is designed for the forks and shock to be set at the correct sag and that's it.

If your running less than 25mm sag on the front and bottoming the forks you need a heaver spring.

Jay,

Just saying when bmw designed there geo (may not be best suited to chasing lap times) they designed it to run 30mm of sag.

Changing the sag number to less than 25mm you might through the geo off abit and rather then moving the forks in the clams you should really be changing springs and running the correct sag.

And I may be wrong but I thought geo was to do with wheel base, fork rake etc and nothing to do with sag even if sag can change these values.

Last edited:
Thought it was just the case of setting sag to 25-30mm then if your bottoming the forks you may be able to increase the compressions dampening but you most likely have a inadequate spring, don't see what geo has to do with sag, geo is designed for the forks and shock to be set at the correct sag and that's it.

If your running less than 25mm sag on the front and bottoming the forks you need a heaver spring.

100% the compression damping is not there to stop bottoming out.

Compression *damping* controls the speed of the of the fork dropping through the stroke to the end of the stroke. Caused by bumps, braking and cornering forces.
Rebound *damping* controls the speed of the of the fork rising back up the length of the fork. Caused by throttle and spring tension.

Neither of these are a means to STOP the fork moving...if you have got that point you've hydraulically locked the damper and that's very bad. You may think you're helping it with compression but really you're just ruining the ability to handle bumps react to the changes in the road.

Damping is about keeping the tyre in contact with the road. It's generally only adjusted, once it's right, when the oil degrades (though changing the oil would be better).

Preload, you correctly point out it's a range ~30-35% of travel in the front and around 25% in the rear.
You use it to set sag and set your BASELINE. So for me that's 6mm (6 turns).
Preload is not set and forget. It depends on the usage. If the preloader can turn 12 times then you'd ideally want to be be set between 4 and 8 turns out of 12. (33-66% of the range) any more OR less you would absolutely require new springs.

Last edited:
All of this of course is individual, what's good for one rider may well not be right for another who may be of the same weight. A faster rider will use a heavier spring than a slower rider because of forces applied.

All of this of course is individual, what's good for one rider may well not be right for another who may be of the same weight. A faster rider will use a heavier spring than a slower rider because of forces applied.
When i was talkibg to mark hanna who ran the Honda ledgends mechanics, his to riders had polar opposite set ups. John mg had it stiff as a board with hardly any travel and the aussie (cant recall his name) liked it banging off the stops

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thats the geezer

Jay,

Just saying when bmw designed there geo (may not be best suited to chasing lap times) they designed it to run 30mm of sag.

Changing the sag number to less than 25mm you might through the geo off abit and rather then moving the forks in the clams you should really be changing springs and running the correct sag.

And I may be wrong but I thought geo was to do with wheel base, fork rake etc and nothing to do with sag even if sag can change these values.

Totally agree with this btw. Just so we?re clear, my opening question was ignoring all these factors on purpose.

From the bits of discussion on the topic of sympathetic changes you should make if adding preload it seems like theres consensus on doing nothing, which is great. Means I?m not missing anything! [emoji4]

Other than making sure I DDC calibrate after any change.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
It's a great discussion point but I think maybe it can be over thought for the average rider. It's one of those things that can spoil the enjoyment of a trackday when yr head is full.

It's a great discussion point but I think maybe it can be over thought for the average rider. It's one of those things that can spoil the enjoyment of a trackday when yr head is full.
Turn throttle
Hang on
Go home happy in one piece

Back