Pop and gurgling exhaust

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy170

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I admit it I bought my new bike for a few childish reasons, the main one being the way the exhaust pops and gurgles when downshifting. Yes the DDC and the QS etc are awesome features but nothing put more of a smile on my face than changing down gears going through my local town and seeing people point and stare. Yes I'm a loser.

My thread question though is what causes this noise and if you changed the stock exhaust how is this affected. I recall reading in a recent thread that a guy had bought the full Akrapovich system for 2k and was then left totally unimpressed when he heard it for the first time. Others say their Arrow cans (at a third of the price) with baffles removed sound awesome. I want to change the OEM end pipe but don't know what to. What I don't want to do is spend money on a new end pipe which loses that popping and gurgling. Yours experiences on what you have fitted are most welcome.

Exhausts

I have fitted both an Arrow Works Titanium Slip-On Exhaust and an Akrapović HP Slip-On Exhaust to my 2015 S1000RR. Both are noticeably quieter than the standard OEM exhaust but the tone is subtly different and lower pitched. With both exhausts fitted the popping is still there when decelerating on a closed throttle but it is far less pronounced than the standard exhaust. Both aftermarket exhausts also produce pretty similar static noise test results but the Akrapović slip-on is quieter overall particularly when at full throttle. The huge positive is that both the Arrow and Akrapović slip-ones weigh significantly less than the standard exhaust. For me the popping and banging of the standard exhaust does get a little tiresome after a while but that's just my opinion. I much prefer a quieter exhaust as being able to pass trackday noise testing is far more important.

P1020848_zps53y9sirp.jpg

P1020648_zpsn6yvvzey.jpg

The popping and gurgling is because the pair valve pumps air from the air box into the exhaust to help burn sunburnt fuel. It's to keep emissions down. It will do it no matter what exhaust you put on. The only time it will stop is if you disable the pair valve.

I've got an Austin Racing GP1 can on mine, very pleased with it , sounds slightly fruitier than standard but with much louder pops and bangs :fat:

Exhausts

If I was in the market for a louder slip-on exhaust I would probably opt for one made by Austin Racing. Their product range for the 2015 model is fairly expansive and their customer service is very good.

I am not necessarily after a louder exhaust but I do not want one that diminishes those pops and gurgles.

i think I'd go with Ry as he seems to know what's what. I saw and heard a 12/13 plate the other day and it sounded great with an Austin Racing can on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the baffle out of the stock can. Still grin like an idiot every time I roll off :congratulatory:

Ah yes, forgot to mention the AR cans come with a removable baffle Loupe ;)

I have the GP2 (long can) and GP2R (short can) on my Tuono V4, so I can pick loud or really loud.

I have the GP1 on my S1000RR it's loud without the baffle and less loud without the baffle.

Pretty sure it would get through trackday noise tests with the baffle in, definitely not with it out.

All of them pop and bang when the PAIR system injects air into the exhaust on both bikes.

If you look at Austin Racings website for the '15RR it says all cans (baffle in) come in at 96db at 5500rpm but I can only really comment on the GP1 I have. I'm not a fan of 'loud' exhausts and wanted something that looked cool, was well made and that I could live with without constantly worrying about getting stopped etc., although my can doesn't come with a BS or EU stamp neither does it have a 'not for road use' stamp either. Hand on heart its only a little louder than std with the baffle in and in no way is it noisy, annoying or anti social, just fruity :unconscious:. In fact an off duty bike cop I was chatting to yesterday commented on how good it sounded!!
A number of finishes are available, mine is the carbon version, which means its a titanium pipe with carbon sleeve and I went for the black, round tip and also asked for it to be de-stickered. I found the guys at AR very helpful, they'll be able to advise you on specifics and if you ask nicely they may also give you a little forum discount - remember the prices quoted don't include VAT, so their exhausts aren't the low cost choice but who's going to stick a cheap can on a ?15k bike?

Last edited:
I have fitted both an Arrow Works Titanium Slip-On Exhaust and an Akrapović HP Slip-On Exhaust to my 2015 S1000RR. Both are noticeably quieter than the standard OEM exhaust but the tone is subtly different and lower pitched. With both exhausts fitted the popping is still there when decelerating on a closed throttle but it is far less pronounced than the standard exhaust. Both aftermarket exhausts also produce pretty similar static noise test results but the Akrapović slip-on is quieter overall particularly when at full throttle. The huge positive is that both the Arrow and Akrapović slip-ones weigh significantly less than the standard exhaust. For me the popping and banging of the standard exhaust does get a little tiresome after a while but that's just my opinion. I much prefer a quieter exhaust as being able to pass trackday noise testing is far more important.

P1020848_zps53y9sirp.jpg

P1020648_zpsn6yvvzey.jpg

Any reason you swapped the arrow for the akrapovic?

Exhausts

No particular reason really and it was more of an impulse buy to be honest. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Arrow slip-on. That said the build quality of the Akrapović exhaust is slightly better and every part of it, including the supplied link pipe, is made from titanium. I purchased this one by chance as I was passing a BMW Motorrad dealership and they had one in stock along with the carbon fibre exhaust bracket. I'm not overly concerned about aesthetics to be honest but the Akrapović slip-on goes well with the other HP parts already fitted to the bike. The good thing about the Akrapović exhaust is that it passes noise testing with ease and is quieter when on full throttle going through the sound trap on track. I have also purchased the optional removable baffle for trackdays at Donington Park where at times the noise limits are even stricter than the MSV circuits. With hindsight, and as much as I like the Arrow exhaust, I would have probably opted for the Akrapović.

Back