plug

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To plug or not to plug a tyre?

• Yes - I plug anything with a hole

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • No - new rubber is safer

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters
Just out of curiosity have any of you ever personally seen a professionally plugged tyre fail??

I never have and I don't actually know of anyone whatsoever that has :D

And if we are being brutally honest the bhp doesn't really have much to do with it nor does the torque, a tyre is a tyre and a puncture is a puncture regardless of whether it is on a tyre fitted to a GS doing 70 or an RR doing 130 ;)

I should point out too that the cost of a rear tyre to me is also nothing but i have never felt the need to worry about a plug particularly having also fitted them myself to car tyres when I worked in a garage and fully understanding how a tyre and plug works.

And Stu, if you were with Kwik Fit through the eighties then chances are my Father in law or his brother was your boss although they were at Regional and Scotland level admittedly, small world :)

I've never seen one fail Mick in all honesty, but when I have got a puncture on my GSA, the dash board has lit up with a red warning triangle and I've managed to stop the bike before the tyre was totally flat. To those that have not seen it, the dash on a GS displays the front and rear tyre pressures and warns you if they suddenly drop or go below the recommended pressures.
When I was a cop, Traffic Dept. vehicle punctures were not allowed to be repaired due to the high speeds that they may encounter but Panda cars were held together with gaffer tape and hope, if you were lucky it had a spare tyre and some diesel in it.
Maybe that's where my rationale comes from but I can't think any different.

JimmyMac

And Stu, if you were with Kwik Fit through the eighties then chances are my Father in law or his brother was your boss although they were at Regional and Scotland level admittedly, small world :)

NO WAY..Greg and Tony Dolan... did I guess right Mick[/QUOTE]

You are correct ;) :D

Last edited:
i personally wouldn't plug a bike tyre and after a plug repair on my work van blow out i doubt i would plug a van one again either. it blow out all around the plug, in fact it was a proper vulcanized repair it was sent off to have done.

Last edited:
I had 11 miles on my previous bike which was brand new when I got a puncture. Absolutely refused to replace it with that milage!

Plugged it and kept an eye on it. It lasted the life of the tyre.

I have since plugged 2 car punctures and someone elses bike and all last the life of the tyres.

Unless the tyre was nearly due for replacing, I personally always have tyres professionally plugged.

However, I would never use a plugged tyre on track

Unless the tyre was nearly due for replacing, I personally always have tyres professionally plugged.

However, I would never use a plugged tyre on track
I have many a time . No issues

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have many a time . No issues

On road or track?

I wouldn't be concerned plugging a tyre twice so long as there was ample spacing between them and they weren't near the sidewalls.
Again, my personally view is for road use only, not track, and I mean professional plugs

On track. Michillin say 2 plugs done "correctly" is fine upto 170 mph. Ive never had 2 in but had 1 in for 3 tds

On track. Michillin say 2 plugs done "correctly" is fine upto 170 mph. Ive never had 2 in but had 1 in for 3 tds

Two plugs is a very unlikely eventuality, though from memory I have had a rear road tyre plugged twice, but that's only happened once.
Punctures are always bloody annoying though, aren't they!

Re road vs track, to each their own as they say, whatever you are comfortable with :)

Not that I am doubting you re the speed rating on Michelin tyres, but I was under the impression that the ZR-17 rating is lost when plugged, and that there is a considerable speed rating loss with two plugs?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-r...0109-british-standarsd-for-puncture-repairs-/

I was told by micheldever tyres that the zr rating is kept but only by michillin. At the time i was on them. As for the dunlops im on now im not so sure. Its a dedicated track bike now so if i get a puncture (rare on track) i would switch tyres as i have spare at the circuit

Interesting, like I said don't quote me on it, but I would definitely recommend erring on the side of caution.
It is always going to be safer to replace then to repair a tyre

Agreed but driving on 4 wheels is safer than 2 ! If michellin themselves ok it and the guys fixing it says its ok then i will accept that

Agreed but driving on 4 wheels is safer than 2 ! If michellin themselves ok it and the guys fixing it says its ok then i will accept that

Indeed, that's why I'm ok with plugging tyres.
I just don't know for certain what Michelin's official speed rating is after a tyre has been plugged, and would therefore recommend erring on the side of caution when riding on track :).

The guys at micheldever said it was only michillin that gave that speed rating.

I don't feel like it's worth it, I got a puncture at Caldwell last week, tire had seen one track day, prefer to spend 200 quid then chance a plug.

None of my local tyre dealers will plug my tyre, so 100 mile done and need a new tyre, worst part can't get another m7rr so having to fit a pair of Rossi 3
so ?180 throw away puncture tyre after 100 mile
?290 for new pair of Rossi
?470 for 100 mile, Christ that's expensive to run

Metzeler M7RR

There are plenty of Metzeler M7RR tyres available on Oponeo.

I thought a m7rr and Rossi 3 were basically the same tire, I may be wrong.

Back