Performance Pack Question

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfaffington

Reaction score
Chaps and Chapesses,

I bought my 2015 S1KRR with the performance pack. While at the FE Track Day as Silverstone on Tuesday I was talking to a guy who was asking me if I had tried out slick mode. I said I couldn't see the mode available and he said access to it is via a dongle which he reckons comes with the Performance Pack. Is that right, should I have a dongle? If so, could it be installed but the modes still be hidden? I.e. have I got to do anything to get to them?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Think what he means the slick key which is only fitted after the 600 mile service.

Turn the ignition on and wait a few seconds. In the screen will show Rain, Sport, Race, Slick and User modes. If it only Say's Rain, Sport and Race then the coding plug is not installed.

check your documents/spare key etc that came with the bike? The slick key should be included in a sealed plastic bag ;)

Slick Plug

With the Performance Package a BMW Coding Plug is supplied and it looks like this when fitted...

P90165969_highRes_zpsccyxkndh.jpg

Chaps, thanks very much for the responses and the pictures. For some reason I didn't get an email from the forum saying you guys responded. I thought you lot were ignoring me because of my stupid question.... :-(

So I checked my document pack and found the 'slick' mode plug, can't believe I didn't check before. Will have a go at installing it this evening a report back.

Oh the track day at Silverstone was awesome, I don't think it would have benefitted from having the plug installed but would like the option. A guy was asking me if I had noticed that the wheel is set as far back in the swing arm as possible. I had noticed it, he thought it was a conspiracy by BMW to make us buy more chains, I think its to give a bit more length in the wheel base making the bike more stable for the average rider. What do you guys think?

Below, bike at the track day i the garage.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bike_in_Garage_Small.jpg
    Bike_in_Garage_Small.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Bike_in_Garage_Small.jpg
    Bike_in_Garage_Small.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
User mode is better than slick mode. Can configure all the settings and you can adjust the DTC on the fly

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this thread a little but regarding user mode do any of you guy's know where I can get mine set up I do mostly road riding but want to learn how to wheelie which is a no go unless the slick plug is installed.As I understand it if I just plug this in it will stiffen up the suspension assuming it's on the track.What I want to do is back the dtc off a bit to stop it intervening when the front lift's.

NO worries re hijack!!!

I would think the anit wheelie is tied into the Traction Control, so just turn that off and you'll be good to go.

I did a wheelie day at The Stunt Asylum which was awesome, learned a lot there.

My advice for what it's worth is take it really easy to begin with, you only need the tiniest amount of clutch to get the front wheel off the ground.

Throttle up wheelies IMO are much harder and more frightening than clutch up wheelies. Clutch controls how fast the wheelie comes up and throttle controls how high.

The way we were taught on Fazer 600s was to crawl along on tick over in 1st gear. Whack throttle open to half way, count 1, 2 and then clutch on 3. We were only using about 1mm clutch throw, the least amount you can get away with the better.

I would highly recommend the wheelie school, they'll let you use your own bike towards the end of the day.

Slick mode will let you wheelie to a certain extent, depends what you want to do.
i'm not a 'wheelie man' but coming up on the gas is soooo common :)

User Manual page 148, mode SLICK, DTC, Front wheel lift is deactivated

Latest posts

Back