Paint damage from Tank stickers?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanK

Reaction score
Just had a call from the place fitting my invisible shield stuff to pretext the bike from stone chips, and it's the exact opposite of what I'm trying to achieve

they have lifted the dealer fitters stickers from the tank and have called to say the red paint from this area has come away. Asked me if bike was new as they think it's been touched up as it's apparently lifted rather cleanly. Just waiting for pictures of damage but the bike is only a couple of months old.

They think it should be a warranty job, dealer not so sure and will get back to me. Anyone any experience in this area?

will post pics when I get them.

R2yVr43l.jpg

Being in the trade I would suggest it has been subject to warranty paintwork already.
If it has then there will be a record of it. If it was damaged/repaired at the dealer then it depends if they own up to it because it wont be recorded with bmw....

Dealer are calling the place fitting it but as you say from that pic there is clearly an existing issue. Bike was sitting on the floor at at dealers before i bought it so expect any previous work will be by them.

Anxiously waiting to hear what happens next.

Dealer are calling the place fitting it but as you say from that pic there is clearly an existing issue. Bike was sitting on the floor at at dealers before i bought it so expect any previous work will be by them.

Anxiously waiting to hear what happens next.

A new tank and an apology!! no telling why its been touched up previously - get a magnet and test for filler!! lol

Take your bike to your local BMW car dealer that has a BM approved body shop and get them to inspect it, they will be able to tell you if the tank has had any rework that is not factory, they will also be able to measure the paint depth on the tank. Any more than about 180 microns on the red stripe would suggest it has been repainted. Hope this helps you, if not pm me your chassis number and I'll check with BMW at Bracknell and Thorne to see if it has passed through there workshop for rework.

Cheers. May just do that or take up your offer but bike 60 miles away getting venture shield and now dealer says they will need to pick up direct with BMW.

They don't have paint facilities so know nothing about any previous problem. Have said so far that stickers are not designed to be removed and if the are it needs to be done properly...

Yeah right!! Its a tank protector that doesn't last for life and its been done by a place that has done hundreds of bikes.

Waiting to hear what official response is but already warned them ill take this further if needs be. Thats not acceptable after 2 months on a brand new bike. Nor is 120mile round trip to get bike back only to have to repeat twice to take bike back for shield, leave a couple of days and repeat.

The guy fitting your "invisible shield stuff" has tugged the tank pad off, likely with no heat applied and pulled a bit of the red stripe off. Whether that's BMW's fault or not may take a bit of negotiating I would think....

Someones gonna pay for it whatever happens. One reason i paid i reputable place to do the work.

Tho TBF i don't think a sticker should pull the paint with it, certainly not down to the base coat like that. And they are supposed to know what they are doing with a fleat of aero Morgans sitting on the garage getting same treatment.

Back