Paddock Stands? BMW?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking for a decent rear paddock stand for the HP4. The BMW one is over £200 which makes me gulp. There are loads of options. I've read that some of the cheaper ones don't provide much clearance. And what about the ones now that fit using the engine bolt in the middle of the bike? Great reviews but somehow seems wrong.

Any help or direction appreciated. I will be using whatever I buy on my own so that also needs considering.

Probably not the best, but I just use a cheap red single piece tubular one I got at the local bike place (and you see them at every bike show), with bobbin hooks, plus a set of R&G bobbins. Does the job fine, stable enough to be hauling the back wheel out and back in and the bobbins mean I'm more than happy lifting it on my own. £30 I think it cost me and has done a couple of bikes now. I wouldn't recommend my front stand, which was an impulse buy at an Aldis, when they have their bike kit sales. Too wobbly as it's got too many pieces that bolt together.

I've got trackday mates that use Motrax alloy stands and rate them, but they are long dead now - might get stock on eBay.

I use the chinese equivalent of the Bursig stand, hasn't let me down yet and very easy to use. cost £130

1005465_10153068523780212_1211493522_n.jpg

I use a Bursig and love it. Have not seen the chinese version to compare it against. It effectively lifts the whole bike with 2 bolts very stable once it is up and if you get the additional rollers you can easily move the bike around. Check out youtube for lots of videos of it in action. Pics of it in action (not my bike)
Bursig003_zps8deb5e5d.jpg

attachment.php

I use the BMW stand and I paid less than £200 got it for around £175ish if I remember. Also you can lift bike and move it backwards and forward no problem. The wheels are rubber,a lot like skateboard wheels. I love it.

Thanks guys.

john how are you finding the hp4 carbon? I noticed you have the all in one cf chain guard and hugger which I have been thinking about. Did you get it from sandbar and is it the road or race version. Does it look after debris from the chain well, the plastic oem guard is a bit flimsy and I needed to bend it into a decent position after getting the bike home from the dealer after finding muck everywhere up the LHS.

boardsofnorfolk - did you get a deal from a dealer, who?

thanks n30 - guys I have wondered about the bursig type lift. Are the bolt attachments to the bike noticeable when the bike a off the stand and did you have any problems with installing them. I've read that the engine bolt needs removing and reversing but the engine should be jacked underneath?

Soofsayer, that bike in the pic is not mine just an example of the bursig in action

Bursig are excellent you don't notice the adaptors when fixed on the bike. It lifts both wheels off the ground and as in pictures above Very stable , as suggested look on Youtube you can sit on bike when raised etc. You can spin bike around in tight spaces remove both wheels etc. As for Boardsonorfolk paying £175 for the BMW rear paddock stand (looks like it should be sold in Mother Care) - Lloyd mate I think you were in the wrong place at the wrong time !!lol

Busters2009 on ebay (part of Busters accessories) do a pair of paddock stands in a nice square section ally with 'skateboard' wheels for £63
I got them ....work fine, look lush (in black on me black bike)

I use the chinese equivalent of the Bursig stand, hasn't let me down yet and very easy to use. cost £130

1005465_10153068523780212_1211493522_n.jpg

Hi, where did you get it from?

the bursig is 359 euros plus shipping, envy seem to have gone bust or something, so this is looking like a good option....

I ended up cancelling the order as the lead time turned out to be October or worse. Instead I've gone for a pair of warrior stands which are just fine.

q: are the universal under fork front adaptors for the front stand ok to use, bit worried about the bike coming off them?

I was given paddock stands by someone who was giving up biking and when I used it a few days ago the hook which grabs the rear bobbin bent and the bike fell to the ground. Not having dropped a bike for decades I was furious. Fortunately the R & G crash bungs and GB racing engine covers saved the fairing. The bike fell on its offside and the exhaust was scratched but I was able to rub out the scratches on the exhaust with emery paper and when I stood back thinking I had got away lucky I noticed a couple of nasty scratches on the rear wheel where the paddock stand hook had bent into. A local bike shop gave me some free black paint which matches fine but I think I will need to rub it down a few times to stop the "orange peel" look. The mirror did not fold on impact and is now a bit wobbly so I will need to get a new one. The moral of the story is that skimping on a paddock stand is really not worth it

Yeah that's a bitch, I always try keep one hand on the bike while raising and lowering it (experience+paranoia). I have 4 sets paddock stands and the cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones, if adjusted correctly. having said that an old red tubular rear paddock stand that a mate gave me, same thing happened and over she went. Fortunately it was the Kwacker and not the beemer. That was just after having polished the swingarm.

Have you considered blaming the missus :p always works for me. :p

Back