Oil Leak

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kennybush

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just wondering if anybody has had any issues with leaking sump plugs? Only done about 250 miles on the bike (in the 2 months I've had it I've not been home much).

I've left it in a friends garage when I'm away at work just now, and he sent me a message saying there is a drip of oil on the floor where its parked. He had a quick look and saying the sump plug looks wet. Hopefully it is just the sump plug, and nothing else that's leaking. Bike hasn't been running in a couple of weeks either.

Oil Sump Bolt

The oil sump bolt shouldn't leak if it's been torqued to the correct specification.

Oil Sump Bolt

I certainly wouldn't ride the bike if the oil sump bolt is not tight; especially if it loosens further and deposits oil on the rear tyre when riding.

Oh heck, I might be a bit of a cowboy with some stuff i do, but i'll certainly be putting a torque wrench on the plug before doing anything! Might not even be the sump plug, maybe that its come from somwhere else and found its way there. If it the sump plug it will probably be very loose, as it leaking when its cold.

Are the bikes transported with oil in them, or is the oil put in as part of the dealer checks before putting the bike out the workshop?

The chain on the bike was extremely slack by the time a got home with it, about 75 miles, when i went to loosen the axle nut it was hardly finger tight, certainly nowhere near 100Nm!

Whats the sealing arrangement on the sump plug? is it a crush washer? If it is I'm a bit miffed as to how it could start leaking, unless as you say it hasn't been torqued up, or somone has overfilled it, and removed it to let some ot, without repacing it. I'm thinking that it probly comes from the factory with the oil already in it though???

I just hope it is as simple as somthing like that

Hi all.

Just wondering if anybody has had any issues with leaking sump plugs? Only done about 250 miles on the bike (in the 2 months I've had it I've not been home much).

I've left it in a friends garage when I'm away at work just now, and he sent me a message saying there is a drip of oil on the floor where its parked. He had a quick look and saying the sump plug looks wet. Hopefully it is just the sump plug, and nothing else that's leaking. Bike hasn't been running in a couple of weeks either.

Yes I had this recently on mine a few weeks after a main dealer service, sump bolt needed tightening so either they didn't torque it up correctly or somehow it loosened off slightly....

Last edited:
I had the whole sump pan and plug replaced under warranty. The originals were wrong materials and rusted when wet. so tightness might be fine... but you need a few new parts! :)

My sump was replaced too. Not because of a leak but because of corrosion around the plug whole. It would have eventually led to a leak. This was done FOC.

Simon

1/8 of a turn is a fair amount i'd say. Hope that's it mate!

hope you sorted it but if its like mine then you havnt. ive had the same drip all year. new seals and torqued but still leaking.

Latest posts

Back