Oil change after 1000 miles. Is it needed???

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EP46 - after we've gone up and down the Stelvio 4 times next you'll whish you had changed it. Tight git!

Cheers Grandad. Looks like that's my telling to change the oil and filter before the trip then.
I could drain it out and give it back to the dealer who would most likely put it back on the shelf.

Sounds like you Geordie lads are going to have a fun trip. I went over the Umbrail and Stelvio a few years back on a S1000RR, great views.

Travelling back between the Czech Republic and Germany there was a massive change in the price of fuel, Czech petrol was about 50 cents a litre cheaper than in Germany. My friend on a K1600GT asked if I would double back 16 miles so he could buy it back over the border, needless to say I pissed myself laughing and told him to feck off.

Have fun lads.

JimmyMac

Sounds like you Geordie lads are going to have a fun trip. I went over the Umbrail and Stelvio a few years back on a S1000RR, great views.

Travelling back between the Czech Republic and Germany there was a massive change in the price of fuel, Czech petrol was about 50 cents a litre cheaper than in Germany. My friend on a K1600GT asked if I would double back 16 miles so he could buy it back over the border, needless to say I pissed myself laughing and told him to feck off.

Have fun lads.

JimmyMac

Cheers for the info Jimmy. I hope the oldwobbler makes a note of this. I love cheaper stuff!!!

Thanks Jimmy. We have a few days booked in Bormio so plan on doing the Umbrail along with the Stelvio and any others we can fit in. The Stelvio is not a great ride by all accounts but I'd like to tick the box. Roll on summer!

Thanks Jimmy. We have a few days booked in Bormio so plan on doing the Umbrail along with the Stelvio and any others we can fit in. The Stelvio is not a great ride by all accounts but I'd like to tick the box. Roll on summer!

Halfords have a 10% discount on all items today, so guess what this tight boy has just invested in!

Re: Oil Change

You can't really go wrong with either Castrol or Motul.

I'm glad I changed the oil now. You should of seen the colour after just 1000 miles. Wouldn't like to see it after 6000!

How do you upload pics on here.....?

Re: Oil Change

Everyone tends to link from photobucket or dropbox.

Oil will always come out black. Carbon from the combustion process will always get in there.

White would be more of an issue (Head Gasket).

To be really sure how happy your engine is you'd have to have the oil analyzed in a lab. Or at the very least filtered, for micro particles.

Last edited:
I took my bike in for a service at 3k and 15 months old early this year. The oil looked exactly the same colour in the sight glass and a bucket of water had been thrown over the wheels. Of course they claimed it had all been done by the book, perhaps they didn't like the fact I bought it somewhere else nearby. Change the oil myself every 3k when anything is out of warranty.

Latest posts

Back