Next Tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to bump this old thread again but changed my tyres Saturday from the Dunlop sport smarts to the Pirelli diablo rosso corsa's.

The place that i get my tyres from is only 10mins from my house and all the way the dunlops felt the same as they did the first day i rode on em, sliding all over the place with little feed back.

Put the pirellis on (took a guess at the pressures 36R 32F) and they instantly felt better i tried to make them slide on the way home and they were having none of it (even when it started spitting with rain). Been out again this evening to scrub them in a bit more and faultless again.

Good riddance dunlop.

PS: If anyone wants a part worn front sportsmart pop into racing lines derby.

andybarsblade link=topic=1203.msg14128#msg14128 date=1349039279 said:
Sorry to bump this old thread again but changed my tyres Saturday from the Dunlop sport smarts to the Pirelli diablo rosso corsa's.

The place that i get my tyres from is only 10mins from my house and all the way the dunlops felt the same as they did the first day i rode on em, sliding all over the place with little feed back.

Put the pirellis on (took a guess at the pressures 36R 32F) and they instantly felt better i tried to make them slide on the way home and they were having none of it (even when it started spitting with rain). Been out again this evening to scrub them in a bit more and faultless again.

Good riddance dunlop.

Hi andy
You fancy posting it up to Gateshead m8 (i will pay costs ) as ive a Dunlop sportssmart on the rear and after one for the front ;)

Billy

unionjack link=topic=1203.msg12182#msg12182 date=1345488016 said:
The DRCs got another shagging at Snetterten Phil. They just won't quit.
Glad you like em Greg ;D

Sounds about right Andy, bet ya glad you tried em ;D

Good riddance dunlop.

x2. great tyre

Just had my new tyres fitted to Loose wheels, Pirelli Diablo Corsa's @ £279 a pair including Vat.

Its going to feel like a new Bike ;D

phil link=topic=1203.msg14336#msg14336 date=1349516203 said:
unionjack link=topic=1203.msg14307#msg14307 date=1349459916 said:
Mmm will need the same soon
You haven't had them on long mate, been rippin em up?

About 3000 miles including two trackdays and the backs looking stressed like the rider.

Been a tyre tart and tried most, best tyres for road use IMO I have ever ridden on.

MOz link=topic=1203.msg11060#msg11060 date=1343723621 said:
Bridgestones are shit full stop. I can't stand them. I was properly horrified to find out my new bike (collecting tomorrow) is shod with BT016s. I can't think of a worse tyre. Luckily, the dealer is swapping them for some Racetecs. Apparently, 25% of new S1Rs will come with 016s, 25% with Continentals (which I was happy to try as the demo bike had them on) and 50% with Racetecs.

I shat out it would seem. If you are buying a new bike be careful what boots it's wearing.

Bridgestones on my commuter and are horrendous. Bt23? Wet specials my arse, I can't count how many times I have put my foot down to stand it up.

After 30 miles on my new bridgestones onto Dunlop sports smarts. Anybody have any views what I should expect?

on the dunlops....they are slippy as fuck when new......scrub them in with care
whilst this applies to all new tires , its more so with these...
I kind of agree with Andy about theSportsmarts , but to balance this , they are very good in the wet IMHO

I have found that of all tyres Dunlop are the worst when cold. I know all tyres have to be warmed up to work properly but some like BSB's and Racetecs you can push almost straight out of the garage, Dunlops you can't and grip limits on them drop off a cliff halfway through the tread life IMO

I have been a fan of 2Ct's having had them on my 1098s and S1000. With all this wet weather decided to fit a pair of the Bridgestone S20's. Did a ride out down the A303 in monsoon conditions with the traffic seemingly more intimidated by the conditions than I was. The tyres managed to get a bit of heat and I had excellent grip. I was very impressed, so now have to see how they do on the track. They are not cheap but never thought I would rate a Bridgestone tyre, but I do now.

I must be doing summat wrong...... Sportsmarts, yes slippy as fk when new, nearly had me off but once scrubbed very quick to warm up, good in wet, sticky enough to run in mid fast group and cant believe how good the wear is, in fact they've worn so well i'm worried they gone through too many heat cycles and will go hard....... (2 track days + 2500mls) Guess its down to how you ride, i'm not a slick mode rider just race. I'd certainly have them again ;)
tyre2.jpg
tyre1.jpg
tyre.jpg

I don't think they are a bad tire , now I know their foibles
I always test my tires every time I go , even when I commute
I prefer them much more than the m5's

I have to agree with Bananaman, on my second set of sportsmarts and still loving them. Slippery when new (and seem to stay shiny longer than other tyres) but when scrubbed in give great grip (particularly on the edge) and decent mileage. I previously swore by bridgestones (bt016's) as all round tyres but these are way better in my opinion and not bad for the money. I ride all year round so need something capable in the wet and cold and these seem to do the trick. :)

I ran the metzler interacts for a while as does my mate now on his s1krr and i highly rate them as does my mate dan on road and track

I had the diablo's on the Duke and liked them, but which flavour are the ones recommended below?

The supercorsa look to be very track orientated so unlikely I'll get the heat into them on the road which is where I spend all my time;

The rosso corsa look to be a nice compromise with a good dual compound split 25% - 50% - 25%; putting it in pole position I think.

Having said that, they look to be a 2010 version of tyre which opens up the debate of the newer diablo rosso II which is also dual compound but appears to be a lot more road orientated - less grip in the very dry which is when I'm out and about.

Your thoughts please.

DangerousDave link=topic=1203.msg15190#msg15190 date=1351114955 said:
I had the diablo's on the Duke and liked them, but which flavour are the ones recommended below?
Diablo Rosso Corsa II http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/motorcycle/sheet/diablo_rosso_corsa.html?url=%3Fsubtype%3Droad

DangerousDave link=topic=1203.msg15190#msg15190 date=1351114955 said:
The rosso corsa look to be a nice compromise with a good dual compound split 25% - 50% - 25%; putting it in pole position I think.
Having said that, they look to be a 2010 version of tyre which opens up the debate of the newer diablo rosso II which is also dual compound but appears to be a lot more road orientated - less grip in the very dry which is when I'm out and about.

Your thoughts please.
Hi Dave, how much grip do you want?
If you want the best grip available then go get the Racetecs, loads of feel and more sticky than a sticky thing, heat up quick to boot, probably too good for the road.

The Pirelli's (Rosso Corsa II) will offer you as much grip as you can (sensibly ;)) use on the road in dry conditions.

Latest posts

Back