New Top Gear

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
Watching the new series of top gear this morning on catchup felt like an hour of my life lost. I don't watch loads of TV, top gear was always something to look forward to, if only to see Clarkson say something innately stupid and meaningless at the end of one of his pieces. Or the long haired one being a knob, or the little one, whom I have the greatest respect for doing what he does after the horrific accident he suffered a few years back, playing with yet another super car I will never own or drive.... I put up with the dumbing down, the lack of car content, the stupid interviews, the buffoonery etc.....

But now there's Evans, me no likey, not actually very amusing, and the grey stubble on a ginger, not a good look. Matt le blanc, who was funny in friends, not so much in joey, not much at all in a car (but better than Evans). And the entirely new format I was promised (in TG magazine last year written by Evans) was a crock of bollocks, it's the same as before but with less purpose or explanation about why they are doing anything. I felt as though I could write the lines in the show before they were spoken it was so predictable.. Not entertainment IMO.

Tell me I'm wrong...

Tell me I'm wrong...

I wish I could.

The previous iteration of Top Gear had become a tired and uninspired "Last of the summer Clarkson". It had its moments, but like Viz's tagline it was not as good as it used to be. The reboot was an opportunity to move away from the farce and become a car show again - albeit with a healthy dose of irreverence. Mounting lasers on the head of something (like a shark) was fine in Dr Evil's lair, but that whole point of that was that it was a ridiculous spoof. Unfortunately, so far at least, new-new Top Gear seems to also be a ridiculous spoof.

Joke about not discussing catering on the show could have almost been funny.

Actually, I can tell you that you're wrong. Whilst Dr May, as with the other members of the cast, did indeed play a dumbed down role, Little and Large were the ones generally being dicks.

I agree with both of you, I switched off after Ramsay was on - can't stick him and I couldn't stick any more of what I was watching. Evans is/was brilliant on TFI Friday but none of that talent was on display in what was a forced, unfunny rehash of the yes getting tired but once brilliant show. Matt Leblanc did ok but doesn't fit into what was and should still be a British show with British humour, I hope it improves but I think I'm going to have to buy that Amazon stick after all...

The Ramsay / Eisenwhatshisname segment of best and worst cars was cringe worthy. Ramsay did exactly what I would have expected of him, look at me with my ultra car poster pic and here's the key to my even more wanky Ferrari I haven't got yet. Even his daughter was embarrassed for him according to his anecdote. He seems to miss the (dying) British quality of understatement, and I think he realized that through the audiences' rather muted responses. Did you catch the comment by Sabine (the only 'car' credible person on the show so far) saying how shit the suspension was in car she was in (corvette was it, I was nodding off), 'just like Ferraris'. That was the best moment of the one hour Evans homage. Evans has a few of them (ferraris - not best moments), as does Ramsay. Cracking.

Last edited:
You knew it was going to be bad when Evans was in the paper trying to defend it BEFORE it had even been aired. I turned it on for 5 minutes, but couldn't take any more.

Agree with all of the above - was on the way out before Clarkson picked on a small bloke! The schedule of being on a Sunday from 8.00 to 9.00 pm has one flaw it was about 55 minutes to long!! Evans made me cringe and the Reliant Robin portion of the show was so bad I had to switch channels!!

It was shite before and it's shite now

I agree... I hated Top Gear.... Really stupid programme with pointless content and presenters that all tried to sound the same as pot bellied fag smoking Clarkson.... Oi Clarkson....c'mere you cxnt.....click........blam blam !

sent from Stuart's tablet

My criticism is that its the old show, which I was bored of too.

They need time to bed in as presenters.

Has anyone seen the Extra Gear content on the iPlayer (BBC3)?

They need time to bed in as presenters.

?

Evans is paid a mint to do top gear. He has been in the business of presenting on tv for a very long time. There is no need for time to bed them in, maybe they should've stayed in bed.

Someone in the Beeb needs shooting. TG is a major revenue earner for the BBC, its failure will impact all of us who use the corporation for other services. I hope the saving grace is that the international markets don't have the same taste as us Brits and they lap it up. Judging by Eurovision and the fickleness of the Asian markets it's probably a safe bet.

Had a bit of a watch of TG extra, would rather have watched the Xtrafactor...

Yeah have to agree very disappointing, I was hoping it was going back to a car program not a program about 3 tossers acting like children and doing stupid challengers like playing conkers with caravans etc.. Clarkson is a joke he should have been sacked if you believe what the media said! Missed a massive opportunity to relaunch the program so far very poor!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I wanted them to clean break - I thought they'd knock the hanger on the head, and just do VT's. I'm reading that they had to do so many re-takes the audience started leaving!

Would not surprise me it seemed really rehearsed not natural, early days but I have a feeling there will be a big shake up if it continues on this path..... I don't know if you watch MotoGP but it was like when Melanie Sykes got the job as a presenter on BT Sports she was so wooden did not have a clue, she did not last many races. The problem TG is I think all the episodes are filmed now so it will be the next series before any changes can happen! I think they should get rid and do a TG for bikes :friendly_wink:

I think the Producers and writers are to Blame, total drivel.. Good not to see Clarkson on the box, when he was first on TG he talked with a Plum in his gob, after 10 years or so he let his accent slip into how he talks now, no better really he is still a Cock.

Bloke I know on another forum was in that episode. When I say "in" - he was driving the black Merc Sprinter van in lane 2 just ahead of the Reliants when Matt LeBlanc "broke down". He was quite surprised to see his van still about the same distance ahead after they topped up the radiator and rejoined the main carriageway (17:46 and 18:25 on iPlayer if anyone has nothing better to do).

It's been a massive failure , Le Blanc , Jordan and Sabine should go with him. Leave the 2 other guys who seem to know a bit about cars and can drive them and move on. No point bringing in someone and making the same mistakes again , this format worked with Clarkson and co but won't work with anyone else. As for the pathetic introduction to the stig , its cringe worthy to say the least.

Latest posts

Back