New S1000rr on the Horizon from BMW ??????

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chorsley

Reaction score
Looking at all the Mid-season deals BMW are doing on the S1000rr it looks very similar to what happened in 2011 my dealer has also hinted at this, my guess there will be an announcement late this year of an updated S1000rr what does everybody else think?

BMW made a statement that we would see development of the S1000rr every three years so 2015 we should see an updated bike? Below is just my thoughts of what they might do I don’t think we will see anything dramatic as the bike is almost perfect as it is. I have no insider knowledge and this might be just dreaming of what may be avalible next year when my current PCP expires.

My speculations / expectations;

Revised dash possibly digital similar to 1199/CBR1000rr (does not really need it but Ducati and Honda have gone this way so BMW may follow although I prefer Analog Rev Counter)
Dynamic Damping control as standard or as option (maybe second generation DDC)
Launch Control (As HP4)
Better traction control adjustability (AS HP4 or second generation)
Revised engine (maybe just be better electronics)
Revised body work
Proper Quick Shifter instead of Shift Assist

Yep I think this too - I've been offered a right wedge for my bike, £1000 off a new one and an ipad.........

I think I'll wait though to see what 2015 brings.

What's the difference then Chorsley in the shift assist and a proper quick shifter?

A man in the know told me last week that there is going to be a new s1000rr for 2015. Big revision apparently. Another 20 bhp, DDC option, chassis changes. Looks like the HP4 will become my track toy. :(

What's the difference then Chorsley in the shift assist and a proper quick shifter?

You need to ride a bike with an HM shifter the shift is nearly completey seamless at 60ms the stock shift assist is around 600ms. However their new GP shifter only available for Honda Suzuki and Kawasaki currently is completely seamless see attached video from the Baron Von Grumble excuse the fruity language

Last edited:
+1 I rode a lad at works CBR1000RR fitted with a HM QS it was loads better than the stock BMW job.

I think you need to realise first that bmw has the worst box on the market compared to Honda kwak with Suzuki the best. Whatever quick shifter you fit will only compliment how good the box is....The old saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear" is so correct in this case. I NEVER had a false neutral on my blade or gixxer and indeed never had to be as positive with the gear change. HM shifter will NOT cure all, trust me.

ive just fitted a HM quick shifter to the S1000rr and the difference is amazing ,shame the krauts never fitted it from the factory.

Billy

I think you need to realise first that bmw has the worst box on the market compared to Honda kwak with Suzuki the best. Whatever quick shifter you fit will only compliment how good the box is....The old saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear" is so correct in this case. I NEVER had a false neutral on my blade or gixxer and indeed never had to be as positive with the gear change. HM shifter will NOT cure all, trust me.

You haven't ridden a Triumph then?!

For the price of the bike when it came out, I think Ohlins should of been as standard, doesn't have to be all singing all dancing ohlins but the name along with brembo carries weight. Others top of the price bracket can do it (Aprilla, MV, KTM)

never cared for the HM shifter or for that matter dynojet, having to use a set kill time for all the gears ... whereas with the bazzaz you can set each gear change independently and after using there new strain gauge shifter yesterday i must say they've hit the ball clean out the park...

having said that it was on a suzuki n i have to agree the boxes on s1's are pish..used to drive an old Scammell years ago that you had to double clutch n that shifted quicker lol

The Gearbox on the BMW is fine there are two issues however the Stock shift assit is just a clumsy micro switch if you watch how it works it actually moves and make the shift rod longer as it operates. a proper shifter is a strain gauge and measures the force applied to the lever. The second issue is with the stock rearrests the gear action does not use proper bearings if you use a decent set of rear sets like Attack performance and set everything up properly it’s like a hot knife through butter. The new GP shifter from HM you can set the kill time for each gear you can set the sensitivity for each gear you can set the release pressure for each gear and according to my HM dealer who has assisted with the development of the GP shifter the guy in the video on the bike above it also auto learns and can get shift times down as low as 30ms. This is why some MotoGP Teams are now using them.

Chorsley, I have to disagree, bmw box HAS to be among the worst regarding ease of change and false neutrals whatever aids you piggy-back on it . If it's true bmw took a gixxer engine to re-design it's a shame they didn't do the same with the box. Just my opinion with my 3-4 yr old crate lol.

As for the 'self learning ' shifter, 3,4,500 squid?

Last edited:
Chorsley, I have to disagree, bmw box HAS to be among the worst regarding ease of change and false neutrals whatever aids you piggy-back on it . If it's true bmw took a gixxer engine to re-design it's a shame they didn't do the same with the box. Just my opinion with my 3-4 yr old crate lol.

http://motodex.eu/acatalog/HM-Quickshifter-GP-1140.html

Agree in standard setup, I have taken a lot of time to set my system up properly and it should be done out of the factory, I now never get false neutrals and it is buttery smooth, it has cost me around £1000 to sort it out with a decent shiffter and good quality rearsets and a good few hours of my time !!!!

Last edited:
Just going back on to OP for second when I collected my S1000RR last week the dealer confirmed that there will definitely be a new model next year. They can't confirm specs or colours at present as these haven't been released. Heard rumours of 20 more horses as well but he couldn't confirm or deny that. Had an 09 blade with the HM Quickshifter on it and yes it is a smooth bit of kit but to be fair the QS on my 14 S1000RR isn't bad either and when you give it the berries there's no real difference between the two in my opinion. Certainly feels smoother than the QS on my old S1kRR that I had a few years back. All in all I'm well happy with my new bike I have to say.

Cannons BMW in Braintree are taking deposits on the new model now £500 secures you one and they have said you'll get invited to the launch of the new model and if after riding it you're not happy with it they will refund your deposit. They have also said that if you put a deposit down as soon as they get the specs and colours etc they will call you to inform you and again if you're not happy at that point you can say and your deposit will be refunded. Hope that helps to anybody who was wanting a new model?

Heard rumours of 20 more horses as well but he couldn't confirm or deny that.

Interesting, from 2 separate sources now.

Cannons BMW in Braintree are taking deposits on the new model now £500 secures you one and they have said you'll get invited to the launch of the new model and if after riding it you're not happy with it they will refund your deposit. They have also said that if you put a deposit down as soon as they get the specs and colours etc they will call you to inform you and again if you're not happy at that point you can say and your deposit will be refunded.

That's consumer law last time I checked, and interesting to know a dealer is taking deposits so early on, we're not even half way through 2014 yet?

Cheers fella.

No worries guys. I've seen an article on the new R1 this morning lots of goodies promised by them including Ohlins and Brembos as well as an M1 and R6 chassis combined. Still running the Crossplane Crank Four Cylinder however this is now saying that the ECU on the new R1 can be programmed by an App from your phone so you can change mappings on the fly and they are stating 200 horses at the wheel but have said the bike is capable of 230 horses but will be dialled down to an even 200 for the road. No word on price yet but if all of that is true then BMW will certainly have some competition for the top spot as it seems like Yamaha are hell bent on winning some customers back. But then knowing how god damn good the current S1000RR is I don't doubt that the new model will be just as epic.

Back