S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were you I'd personally get a 2008+ R6, Best ever bike i've owned apart from my current bike

+1 on what MacRR says, if you buy an older bike the insurance premium will be considerably lower as the value of the bike is much lower.

However, the general rule is that anything with a "super sport" label will be considerably higher than an equally powerful naked bike, or sport tourer.

Price comparison sites are a good starting point, but you'll always find a better quote phoning the broker directly.
By all accounts, "BeMoto Insurance" are very good, there who I'll be looking to do business with when my renewal is due.

Stay positive and best of luck with your insurance search :).

Kawasaki z800 looks the nuts

Just had a look and that looks pretty decent! Will look more into them. Thanks :D

Unfortunately high initial insurance premiums is something you'll have to be prepared for to begin with.
This is why anything other then a "Super Sport" category bike will be in your best interest insurance wise.

Why not a fan of naked bikes? Many of them are based on a super sport chassis, but have a far more comfortable riding position and are arguably more versatile.
Sporty naked bikes are very popular at the moment, and for good reason.

If I were you, and if I was starting out again, I'd be looking at a Triumph Street Triple 675 R or if you're looking to buy brand new, the 765 Street Triple.
Reason being, is that by all accounts these are class leading middleweight naked bikes and I personally believe the middleweight Triumph 3 cylinder engines are one of the top 2 in motorcycling ... I had a Daytona 675 R and the engine was sweeeeeet!
The other of course is the lump in the SThou range, naturally lol!
For what it's worth, the general refinement and gearbox in Triumphs triple is better then that of an S1000, or at least in my experience I found that to be true.

Try not to feel dejected, as you'll be amazed how your insurance will decrease once you have just 1 year of NCB :).

Just prefer the look of a fully faired bike tbh, have seen a couple of MT-07's recently which have made me take a 2nd look. Will have a look into the Triumphs aswell as a new dealership has opened about 10 minutes from my house. I loved the look of the 675R and it was my dream bike for a couple of years :love-struck:

Have you had a look at older bikes? Unless you have a horrendous driving record and / or live in a high crime area I can't believe you won't get a half decent quote on something like a 2005 GSXR 600 or 750 - both still look smart, handle very well, cost c?3k and are plenty quick enough to be going on with?

Haven't looked at older bikes, but I will now. Clean driving licence, only 1 non fault claim, area isn't the greatest to be fair!

If I were you I'd personally get a 2008+ R6, Best ever bike i've owned apart from my current bike

I tried a quote for the new R6 and it was ?6766 :hororr: will look at the older models!

+1 on what MacRR says, if you buy an older bike the insurance premium will be considerably lower as the value of the bike is much lower.

However, the general rule is that anything with a "super sport" label will be considerably higher than an equally powerful naked bike, or sport tourer.

Price comparison sites are a good starting point, but you'll always find a better quote phoning the broker directly.
By all accounts, "BeMoto Insurance" are very good, there who I'll be looking to do business with when my renewal is due.

Stay positive and best of luck with your insurance search :).

Yeah I've come to realise that lol, looking like a naked or older model! Going to have a bit of homework on auto trader etc haha :adoration:

Just to give you a brief overview of the various engine configurations and how these "feel", and perform, though if you can get a test ride this is by far and away the most valuable way to judge a bike.

- 2 cylinder bikes have lower rev limits, lumpier bottom ends and considerably more torque (grunt) then an equivalent 4 cylinder offering.
They also tend to vibrate when accelerating, but are quite smooth at constant throttle.
- Inline 4 cylinder bikes, are most car like, very smooth, very well behaved at low revs, but also have the least torque and make power high up in the rev range (an R6 revs to over 16 K rpm, for example). They pull cleanly on open throttle, but tend to buzz at constant throttle in certain parts of the rev range.
- An inline 3 cylinder bike (only Triumph and more recently Yamaha makes these), is essentially like splitting the difference between a twin and a 4 cylinder bike. There is considerably more low and midrange torque, but they are also refined at low revs and have a high redline. They also behave like a 4 in that they buzz slightly when cruising, but pull cleanly on open throttle.

Overall, this is very generalised, but it is fair to say that as a general rule the more cylinders you have the smoother/more refined the engine will feel.

If you're interested in a three cylinder bike, it's worth bearing in mind that Triumph have the most experience with these and will have a more extensive second hand market.

It is also very important that you consider the practicalities such as where your dealership is, if you have a Triumph dealer just down the road from you that is a big plus point.

I have a Triumph dealer that is 5 mins away from me, and my BMW deadlier is 10 mins away. I have enjoyed this "convenience" immensely and would always bear this in mind when purchasing a bike in future.

P.S. I would recommend test rides and forums over professional reviews when it comes to judging a bike. I was let down massively on a 5* MCN rating for a KTM 690 Duke (my first road bike), should've bought the Triumph lol!

Latest posts

Back