My 2027 S1000rr sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozz1974

Reaction score
Well today was the day that the panigale went and the Bmw arrived, I have got a bike with the performance package that obviously comes with slick mode, so is it ok the fit the chip to enable slick mode during the running in period.

Thanks Dave.

Congrats on the purchase. Surely you mean the flux capacitor, not the slick key? :wink-new::wink-new:

Sorry I can't answer your question though I do know that BMW didn't give out the slick key until after first service on previous years

Last edited:
Well today was the day that the panigale went and the Bmw arrived, I have got a bike with the performance package that obviously comes with slick mode, so is it ok the fit the chip to enable slick mode during the running in period.

Thanks Dave.

No. It will invalidate your warranty. It probably won't work if you do try and use the slick key as a self defence mechanism.

You need to wait until the 600 mile running in service is completed.

Slick Chip

There is very little point in fitting it before the first service anyway as you are restricted to 9,000 rpm.

No. It will invalidate your warranty. It probably won't work if you do try and use the slick key as a self defence mechanism.

You need to wait until the 600 mile running in service is completed.

I had the Slick plug fitted by my dealer before I took delivery of my Gen 3, there was no mention of warranty concerns.

The 9K rpm limiter is still intact until after the first service, so the only benefit to fitting it straight away is being able to configure the User Mode

I had the Slick plug fitted by my dealer before I took delivery of my Gen 3, there was no mention of warranty concerns.

The 9K rpm limiter is still intact until after the first service, so the only benefit to fitting it straight away is being able to configure the User Mode

That is a surprise to me, it must be different on the 3rd gen.? I take it yours was new when you got it? 3 demo bikes I've had that were pre 1st service did not have the slick plug fitted. Was slick mode available to you on day 1 then?

I had one of the first gen 3's, got the dealer to fit the slick plug at the first service, as said no point fitting before then due to the 9k rev limit, warranty was never discussed as you get through the 600 mile thing as fast as possible right?

That is a surprise to me, it must be different on the 3rd gen.? I take it yours was new when you got it? 3 demo bikes I've had that were pre 1st service did not have the slick plug fitted. Was slick mode available to you on day 1 then?

Yea brand new, I just asked if they could fit it when preparing the bike as I wanted to configure the User Mode straight away.

I can't comment on previous Gen bikes as I don't have prior experience, but I imagine the same would apply to all model years?

To my knowledge, and based on my test ride experiences with BMW, they don't seem to fit the Slick plug on any demo bike regardless of whether it is pre or post the first service.
Perhaps there is a safety reason for this, as Slick mode has no wheelie control?

I can't understand any reason for BMW not allowing the Slick plug to be fitted from new as the 9 K limiter is still in place.

I had one of the first gen 3's, got the dealer to fit the slick plug at the first service, as said no point fitting before then due to the 9k rev limit, warranty was never discussed as you get through the 600 mile thing as fast as possible right?

There is benefit to installing the Slick plug straight away as it allows you to fully configure the User Mode.
However you are quite right that the 9 K rpm limit is still in place so there is no "performance" benefit as such

I was just handed mine when I bought my 2012 rr and my 2013 HP4. I've never took either out the packet. But then again mines doesn't have user mode or then I might.

JimmyMac

Yea brand new, I just asked if they could fit it when preparing the bike as I wanted to configure the User Mode straight away.

I can't comment on previous Gen bikes as I don't have prior experience, but I imagine the same would apply to all model years?

To my knowledge, and based on my test ride experiences with BMW, they don't seem to fit the Slick plug on any demo bike regardless of whether it is pre or post the first service.
Perhaps there is a safety reason for this, as Slick mode has no wheelie control?

I can't understand any reason for BMW not allowing the Slick plug to be fitted from new as the 9 K limiter is still in place.

Maybe ive got it wrong and misunderstood something at the time when I got the bike. I'll check when I get back to base.

I think it not being in the pack with the bike is wrong. My first service was not with the dealership I bought my bike with. So if I didn't get the key with it, I'd have been jumping through more hoops to sort that out.

My slick plug came with my16, I put it in myself but I couldn't select slick until after 600m service

Daz

Yeah agreed - it's disabled in the software so no need to worry about it till then. But it should still be supplied.

Latest posts

Back