Morning and Happy New Year

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apollokre1d

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have finally got round to registering and thought I'd say hi. Firstly a happy new year to everyone.

Quick rundown of my bike history...

Honda CBR600RR (Stolen)
Triumph Daytona 675 (Sold)
BMW S1000R 2012 (Stolen)
BMW S1000R 2012 (Current)

As you can see not much luck with theft (here in North London) but I have the bike in what I hope is a safe space now.
My current BMW is 100 stock apart from a tracker (obviously), and tail tidy. I am looking to either do some upgrades or switch to a 2015 model this year. Current bike has 5K on the clock and I really do not have any complaints about it. I know the newer bike is superior and I'd never see any sort of return from the money spent on the older / current bike.

Anyway no rush but if any of you have any thoughts I'd be interested to hear them.

take care.

Welcome in to the forum Apollo,

Sorry to hear about the theft of your s1krr.

I lived in a house share outside Bermondsey Tube Station in 2012-13 when I had my Daytona '13 at age 20. Insured and I parked it in the patio and never had any security issues.. Very visible to everyone jumping on the tube too! Guess that was lucky, or didn't have the attraction of the BMW ;)

What tracker do you use now? Any advice on what made you pick it?

Morning Westy and thanks for the welcome :)

My Honda sat outside my flat for three years and I also thought it was perfectly save but then one day it was gone... I guess you were lucky which is good it is a nasty feeling when it happened.

With the BMW I did all I could to protect it, I used those Almax chains, had a tracker from this company (http://www.tracker.co.uk/) as well as a disk lock and the bike was parked in "secure" underground parking (?500 per year I had to pay to keep it safe).

All that did not stop them, they came in at 1:30am one morning, broke into the underground parking with helmets on, cuts the chains with an angle grinder broke the disk locks and rode my bike and another Harley away... tracking company were useless, they only called my 25 mins after the bike was taken and within 10hrs the police found the device in a bin. The tracker companies excuse was being in London they could not get a proper fix on it's exact location. The place that I parked my bike at (N1 Business Design Centre) claimed no responsibility as it was at own risk.

So now I have some of the same security measures but learning from my past mistakes I now have gone with TrakKING who have a great recovery record and text you if your bike is moved without the key, and obviously call you when its being moved and get onto to the police right away. You can also log in and ping you bike and see it on a map provided its not been switched off for longer than 1hr (after that it goes to power saving mode) but TrakKING can still track it regardless. I also have my own 24hr CCTV to the bike that I can see on my phone anytime and anywhere in the world. I also have a hidden engine kill switch which should prevent them being able to ever start it. The BMW security system is rubbish and they know how to get round that so with all that its fingers crossed :)

I would recommend either TrakKING or BikeTrac, I follow their recoveries on Facebook and they are seem to be much better than tracker. They guy who installed mine has been in the business 37 odd years, is an approved fitter and can come out to you to do it or you can take your bike to him in Kent and he'll fit it at his place. The company is called Elite Motorcycle Services.

Hope that helps and anything else please shout :)

Take care

Hi Apollo welcome to the site and a Happy New Year to you. 2012 was my first foray into sportsbike and I still have a liking for motorsports ones from that year. All S1000rr Beemers have been fantastic since introduction and there no weak models only different due to advancing tech. Personal choice at the end of the day.

JimmyMac

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the welcome :) I agree they are awesome, I like the HP4 too but figured it would too similar to what I have now but would hold it's value far better than modding my own. However I think they millage sensitive (for resale?) so maybe i should just mod my own bike, I think I might have answered my own question.

thanks again!!

I lived in a house share outside Bermondsey Tube Station in 2012-13 when I had my Daytona '13 at age 20. Insured and I parked it in the patio and never had any security issues.. Very visible to everyone jumping on the tube too! Guess that was lucky, or didn't have the attraction of the BMW ;)

Hi Westy, Sorry I did reply to your message first but it was a lengthy reply and I think its being reviewed by the moderator.

Hi all,

I have finally got round to registering and thought I'd say hi. Firstly a happy new year to everyone.

Quick rundown of my bike history...

Honda CBR600RR (Stolen)
Triumph Daytona 675 (Sold)
BMW S1000R 2012 (Stolen)
BMW S1000R 2012 (Current)

As you can see not much luck with theft (here in North London) but I have the bike in what I hope is a safe space now.
My current BMW is 100 stock apart from a tracker (obviously), and tail tidy. I am looking to either do some upgrades or switch to a 2015 model this year. Current bike has 5K on the clock and I really do not have any complaints about it. I know the newer bike is superior and I'd never see any sort of return from the money spent on the older / current bike.

Anyway no rush but if any of you have any thoughts I'd be interested to hear them.

take care.

Welcome mate, I went from a '13 to a '15RR, the later bike has a roomier riding position with less weight on your wrists, autoblipper (which makes a big difference to corner entry approach and comfort), DDC suspension (excellent bump management) and optional cruise (very useful). The gen2 bike is excellent but the gen3 is better, suggest you blag a test ride to see for yourself :smile-new:

Welcome mate, I went from a '13 to a '15RR, the later bike has a roomier riding position with less weight on your wrists, autoblipper (which makes a big difference to corner entry approach and comfort), DDC suspension (excellent bump management) and optional cruise (very useful). The gen2 bike is excellent but the gen3 is better, suggest you blag a test ride to see for yourself :smile-new:

Hi MacRR,

Awesome thank you for the reply... maybe i should have asked for a comparison because that is exactly what I wanted to hear... thanks so much for the information, it sounds like a good step forward. I'll book a test ride in April when mine goes in for a service :)

Is the active suspension really that good and apart from the colour is there much of a difference between the 2015 and 2016 models? I have also noticed on the BMW UK - Configurator there is a S 1000RR model and a S 1000RR sport model, is the difference the sport and non sport models just the dymanic suspension?

thanks again.

Its nearly 2 years since I got my bike so I'm a bit rusty on the finer details of the sport v non sport (someone will be along who will correct me if I'm wrong) but apart from the DDC the sport also comes with higher spec/changeable traction control. Non sport models are pretty rare as the vast majority of buyers want DDC and all the aids you can get(!), if you were racing there's an argument that the non sport is better as you'd probably junk the std suspension and fit KTec or something similar but there are guys on here successfully racing with set up DDC. There's no difference between the '15 and '16 models, the '17 only differs in its colours and Euro4 compliance.

Thanks again that is really useful. I really like the idea of DCC (from what I read) so sounds like a must have.
Lean't loads today thank you :)

The DDC allows you to suck up bumpy B roads in a way that most std suspension can't, one or two people struggle with the 'feel' it gives when pushing on (I can't say I do) but you can fine tune the set up to dial this out.

Can't say I am skilled enough to get to those limits but am interested to see how it compares. Are there any "known issues" with the DCC? I heard once (and mean only once) of the DCC suspension being stuck on an HP4.

I think there's been the odd isolated incident in the past but the subject is never raised on here so no there aren't any issues worth mentioning

I see the moderator has not yet approved my post, I think its because I had links to the tracking companies.

While you are waiting I went with "TrakKING" over "Tracker".
"BikeTrac" is also good and both companies appear to have good recovery rates compared to "Tracker". They were terrible when my BMW was stolen and only called me 25 minutes after it was taken. (Full story when my post gets approved)

Thank you :)

Youre welcome and welcome to the forum.

The 2nd gen non sport had no traction control or abs, it was essentially bought by track only riders, although a few do make it to the road. I presume the same difference exists now with the latest model. If so then dealers will have limited supplies of non sports as nearly all will be sold as the sports variant. Hope that makes sense.

That does help thanks again, thanks too for the welcome message and I will get some pictures up soon :)

Latest posts

Back