Morning All!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkm_dave

Reaction score
Quick post to say hi and confirm I'm not a robot.

Admittedly I'm not a biker, I race/build a hillclimb car as a hobby and I'm hoping to learn more about the bonkers stock engines the S1000RR comes with for a new project I've started planning for.

I'll do as much searching and googling as I can before I ask my naive questions but I'm sure there's a couple of things regarding stock vs aftermarket ECUs that I'll need some experienced members to educate me on.

Cheers in advance.

Forgot to mention, by trade I design mountain bikes, so I'll potentially be getting pretty hands on with designing/fabricating some mods for the engine. Primarily looking either a modified wet sump or potentially a full dry sump system. It may be of very little use to motorbike users but should be an interesting tangent to stock systems, if only from a bystander's point of view.

Welcome along - I don't know if there are many out there with aftermarket ECU's most stop at the HP Calibration Kit from BMW which allows lots of mapping options without losing functionality.

Be good to see some pictures when you're ready.

Thanks Alex, I had started looking at the remapping options for a factory ECU, but something I hadn't yet gotten to the bottom of was the ability to turn off things like ABS, lean angle sensors etc. The traction and launch could be handy features as that's something I would be keen to implement regardless of ECU chosen, but I would need to have the ability to edit and try different settings.

Then there's gearshift setup. Currently on pneumatic paddle shift, so in keeping a factory ECU I'd either need a separate gear shift ECU to control the pneumatics or run a mechanical/cable paddle system. The simplicity of the cable system is hugely appealing, but the adjustment of every parameter under the sun with a pneumatic system can't be ignored.

Ah choices! :)

RyS1000RR on here has the Calibration Kit for his 2015, he can probably tell you what it can and can't turn off.

However, does anything beat a custom MoTeC job? ;)

Cheers, will drop RyS1000RR a quick message.

would love a nice Motec setup! Unfortunately the budget won't quite stretch that far. Unless I make do without an engine and just sit there making engine and tyre squeal noises! Haha.

i have some experience with DTA ECUs which do most things a Motec will allbeit in a slightly less polished way. Looking about ?1k for an ECU that can handle the engine, launch, traction, paddles etc etc. Whether it can handle the variable pressure fuel pump I'm not sure. But at first glance that could probably be replaced by a high/constant pressure pump and base the mapping around injector open times rather than a variable injector/fuel pressure relationship.

There are auxiliary outputs that can control the variable intakes and either a bolt on kit to run the drive by wire throttle or maybe go oldschool and convert it to cable operated.

What am I getting myself in for! Haha

Hi Dave, wow, that is some level of tech you are dealing with, the very best of luck to you. If you want any advice on keeping it shiney maybe that's more my level, lol, I'm a demon with a bit of polish and a duster.

Welcome

JimmyMac

Thanks Jimmy, I'm by a polisher but I do like to get the machinery presentable come race day! Speed and performance come first though so if you have some magic sponges to help reduce drag or vehicle weight I'd definitely like to hear about them ;)

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can be of help :). Whereabouts do you race?

Do Syvecs make a suitable ECU? If so I know a wicked Syvecs mapper. Syvecs are as good as MoTeC without the mark up.

Thanks Soof, I'm sure there's going to be plenty of useful info and advice people can offer here.

I race all over the UK, last month was on the Snetterton 100 inner track, Pembrey this weekend just gone, Anglesey next weekend. Obviously those were not hillclimbs, but single or double timed laps from a standing start.

From what I've seen Syvecs can easily take care of the engine side of things, but the paddle shift system appears to be a bolt-on upgrade to expand the ECU's capabilities. I wouldn't rule them out at this stage, but needs some more research. The DTA needs a DBW throttle add on so its swings and roundabouts unless the throttle bodies get converted to cable operated.

Latest posts

Back