Forged HP Wheels vs Standard cast?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavey

Reaction score
Hi folks, apologies in advance as i know this has been discussed before, but i can't find the exact info i'd like via the search engine.

I'm ordering my 2017 RR tomorrow and still undecided about whether to spec it with forged wheels or standard. I know this is very much a personal choice based on riding style, experience etc, but i haven't had the opportunity to compare two bikes with and without?? My 2015 had stock wheels and didn't seem lacking, but as i said i've not been able to compare. I'll probably be doing a few tracks days but the bike will be mainly for road use. So....

1. Has anyone had the opportunity to directly compare forged vs cast wheels on their bike? If so, are you feeling a big improvement? Is it overkill for the road?
2. Would you say it's worth the extra investment and is that extra cost usually taken in to account on resale? I've heard dealers saying they won't pay any extra for forged wheels on any bikes they buy in??
3. How much extra should I be expecting to pay for forged wheels on a new bike? My dealer seems to think around ?1k but hasn't confirmed yet.
4. Having pretty much destroyed my cush rubbers within a few thousand miles on my 15(!), someone mentioned that the HP wheels have a more direct, more durable cush drive design?? Can anyone confirm this? I could do without having to replace cush drive rubbers every 3-4k miles on the new bike if possible?! :frown-new:

They improve everything...you need less effort to turn. Less effort to accelerate/brake.

Cush drive rubbers don't wear as quick.

1k seems fair with the other associated changes. Different discs I think.

- Sent from Mobile

I can't remember the exact weight saving but it's not massive. I rode a '15 with standard wheels to Croft, an hour on track, and back. I can't honestly say there was much in feel or difference between them and the forged on my HP4, but they are different bikes admittedly and all that. Suppose what I'm trying to say is don't expect night and day because of forged wheels, it just isn't like that.

Having said all that, the shorter answer is yes, spec it with them. They are more desirable and are a cheap option compared to aftermarket options. Compared to the overall cost of the bike it's a no brainer to have them.

?2200 to buy separately I believe. ?1000 on list for them. Plus they are much harder and will survive a pothole better in my opinion

forged every time, when you have have them side by side the weight difference is clear.

You may not think you can feel the difference but then you will not be riding them back to back.
As an option for ?1250 i would take it every time.

Id go for forged as well, seems to be the option most people want on resale.
You also get 90degree valve caps which sealed the deal for me over the standard ones which at the time I thought looked better side by side!
No more fiddling about with tyre guages at Petrol stations or track days.

Or you can just buy standard and a ?5 set of angled valves....:biggrin-new:

Having had an s1k since 2010 I had 4yrs of standard wheels, the last year mainly on track. My '15 with the forged wheels felt night and day in comparison. As stated, it's a good deal to include them in the purchase.

I had a '15 with standard wheels (Bridgestones were fitted). The demo bike I rode had forged. I did notice the difference, although switching to M7RRs the difference was less pronounced. I think if I had to do it again, I would look to get forged wheels if I had the funds.

Got a lot of thinking to do for next year on the replacement.

HP Forged Wheels

The HP Forged Wheels are relatively inexpensive and when chosen as an optional extra on a new bike they represent exceptional value for money. I certainly wouldn't purchase a new S1000RR without them fitted.

I didn't spec my 2015 with forged wheels when purchasing it and it was the biggest mistake ever, I ran it a year with the cast wheels then purchased some light weight ones and the difference is huge. It turns quicker, accelerates quicker and the front comes us easier on track lol. For an extra grand from new it's an absolute no brainer IMO.

thanks folks....this is all really helpful! ....forged wheels it is! :encouragement:

Latest posts

Back