McPint NW200 crash = Out of 2017 TT

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oli

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been covered but just found out that John McGuiness crashed in the Superbike Qualifying at the NW200 and has sustained several fractures (4 vertebrae, 3 ribs and a leg).

He's "alright" all things considered and wish him a full recovery, but will obviously have a long road to recovery ahead.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/39947195

Yeah - it's been a bad couple of weeks for Honda. They don't yet know why but McPint reported the throttle was stuck. :/

Yeah - it's been a bad couple of weeks for Honda. They don't yet know why but McPint reported the throttle was stuck. :/

Awful couple of weeks.

If the throttle is indeed the cause of the crash then that is a shocking statistic for HRC, is certainly not the first time a stuck throttle has caused a blade to crash ...

Didn't this happen when Casey Stoner rode the Honda a few years back, in some sort of endurance race? Can't remember if it was Suzuka but basically factory Honda and the throttle stuck open it was a bad one! Apparently one of the reasons he went to Ducati as a test rider! Shame too for McGuiness think that may be him finished now can't see him coming back as competitive if the reports regarding his injurys are true!

Didn't this happen when Casey Stoner rode the Honda a few years back, in some sort of endurance race? Can't remember if it was Suzuka but basically factory Honda and the throttle stuck open it was a bad one! Apparently one of the reasons he went to Ducati as a test rider! Shame too for McGuiness think that may be him finished now can't see him coming back as competitive if the reports regarding his injurys are true!

You're indeed correct, Casey Stoner had a stuck throttle at an Endurance race (I've got a feeling it was Philip Island).
I'm sure there was another example of an HRC bike having a stuck throttle too with the past few years

Fyi, the 2017 blade is the first with fly-by-wire...

- Sent from Mobile

That's true, full e-throttle like Gen 3 onwards RR's, Ducati and KTM.

But, if he was on a full Superbike spec bike, then don't some teams ditch it in favour of a cable set up?

Regardless, HRC doesn't seem to have a good track record with stuck throttles by the sounds of it

I was over at the NW200 at the weekend with Beavis and a couple of my mates, spoke to a marshall who saw it happen and indeed it was reported that McPint was stamping on the gear shift but couldn't kill forward speed, whether it jammed in gear or throttle jammed is unknown but he made some size of hole in the fence. Twenty metres further along and he would be dead, no question. He was catapulted over the cliff edge and landed on the golf course, just short of a massive rock formation. I absolutely adore John and he gives his time generously to anyone who asks. I selfishly hope he retires now and lives life out as the great champion that he is, no one else in the world has as much TT credibility as him and he need to prove nothing.

Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Luckily witnessed him winning the Senior in 2015, my best day at the TT ever.

JimmyMac

I was over at the NW200 at the weekend with Beavis and a couple of my mates, spoke to a marshall who saw it happen and indeed it was reported that McPint was stamping on the gear shift but couldn't kill forward speed, whether it jammed in gear or throttle jammed is unknown but he made some size of hole in the fence. Twenty metres further along and he would be dead, no question. He was catapulted over the cliff edge and landed on the golf course, just short of a massive rock formation. I absolutely adore John and he gives his time generously to anyone who asks. I selfishly hope he retires now and lives life out as the great champion that he is, no one else in the world has as much TT credibility as him and he need to prove nothing.

Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Luckily witnessed him winning the Senior in 2015, my best day at the TT ever.

JimmyMac

+1

+1 also Jimmy, I think he should retire now and walk away while he still can, there's too many fast young riders around making it harder for him to win another TT.
by the way Jimmy that top pic looks like the picture board on crime watch mate.

Hahaha, Budgie. It is actually an ID parade for the Gandalf impersonator who was trying to sell the Giants Causeway to some American tourists last week.

Nick Ross has offered a reward for the naming of the culprit...........

JimmyMac

Gutted for him and his career but as said maybe best bow out on a high. All depends on his determination but it will be a long recovery.
My mate had a very bad accident last year with very similar injuries and was wheelchair bound for months but then again he only had the nhs to sort him. Hopefully John makes a speedy recovery and makes the right choice for him and his family.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Great photos too Jimmy, that's one deeply impressive beard your friend is sporting!

Wonder if a beard like that give you Bruce Anstey skills ... ?

Great photos too Jimmy, that's one deeply impressive beard your friend is sporting!

Wonder if a beard like that give you Bruce Anstey skills ... ?

Didn't Bruce shave his off when he crashed at Keppel Gate last year?

Didn't Bruce shave his off when he crashed at Keppel Gate last year?

Come to think of it yes that does ring a bell.

So, ignoring that "minor" detail, I'm referring to mad skills before any unfortunate crash

Come to think of it yes that does ring a bell.

So, ignoring that "minor" detail, I'm referring to mad skills before any unfortunate crash

Aye, he's fast af once they wake him up :) I was sat next to him on the ferry home last time I went over there. Tried to chat with him but he was fast asleep within 10 mins of sitting down! Pretty sure I wasn't being 'that' boring.....

Maybe the beard somehow contributed to the crash? So long it got caught in the chain.....

Latest posts

Back