Lean angle missing(again!)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

keith4383

Lean angles have gone walkabouts again[emoji852]. Been chatting to Wollastons today and they checked the dealer forum and BMW have acknowledged that there is an undervoltage problem which makes the lean angle sensor malfunction, they are preparing another software update which will be available in a couple of weeks.
Will keep you updated!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

i'm pretty sure this is why they uprated the alternator on the '17 model......my '15 had all sorts of electrical gremlins, including the mysterious disappearing lean angle display! I wonder if the new 17 alternator would fit the 15 model??

Wonder if this is like my drz400 with inadequate wires from the rectifier to the battery, if so a new rectifier or new wires are the solution.

Be interested to see what they come up with.

I had this on my '16 a week or two ago.
When I stopped to get fuel, turned off etc then when started it to go, the lean angles were back... Tightened the battery terminals the next day (they never tightened up fully so didn't push it too much however).
My first electrical issue so far, touch wood.

I now make sure the heated grips are turned off before I fire it up, just in case there's a lack of power in the electrical system causing anomalies at fire up...

Let us know what they say and if they given any details

My 16 plate has been doing the same mid summer. So I contacted Allan Jefferies and they told me the software needed updating. This in turn corrupted the bikes electronics system. Left me without my bike for 4 weeks.

Last Saturday I went to Oulton park on the bike and the lean angle was not displayed again. So the update did not really work.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Try changing the lean angle speed , I know of another rider that had issue in fast mode only. Goto lean angle angle settings, select slow.
Maybe worth a try ??

Jay
Already tried changing the settings to slow, mid, fast, then off and back on again when it went AWOL.

Lean angles have gone walkabouts again[emoji852]. Been chatting to Wollastons today and they checked the dealer forum and BMW have acknowledged that there is an undervoltage problem which makes the lean angle sensor malfunction, they are preparing another software update which will be available in a couple of weeks.
Will keep you updated!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mine is a 2015,same issues. Dealer updated software twice, worked intermittently but lost all the lean angle/brake force. BMW then suggested battery change and it cured it, haven’t had a problem since. If you turn the ignition on, then set menu to display lean angle, does the lean angle display? If it does and then goes off as soon as you start the bike, would suggest it’s the battery.

After reading this, I had a similar problem....

I got a Battery message alert from BikeTrac at 11.6V on Saturday morning just gone.... Did not start the bike until Monday morning ready for work........... it V..E..R.Y...........V..E..R.Y.. slowly turned over (just). I rode it to work without the lean angle display showing.....The bike started as per normal on the return journey home and display was showing as per normal..... not quite enough juice..... saying that, it is a brand new heavy duty battery that was replaced under warranty about 3 months back..... I think the tracker is sucking life out of it.....?

Mine is a 2015,same issues. Dealer updated software twice, worked intermittently but lost all the lean angle/brake force. BMW then suggested battery change and it cured it, haven’t had a problem since. If you turn the ignition on, then set menu to display lean angle, does the lean angle display? If it does and then goes off as soon as you start the bike, would suggest it’s the battery.

Do you have a multimeter if so what sort of voltage are you getting at the battery when the bike is running, also are the battery leads free from corrosion and tight

When I'm not riding the bike I have the optimate 4 trickle charger connected and it always says the battery is in good condition.
I believe the ecu is reading a low voltage when under load with all the electronics in use which signals deactivation of the lean or bank angle display.

This is a somewhat trivial thing to check, and I?m sure you?ll all likely be aware of it already, but on the off chance, it?s worth keeping an eye on the battery terminals to make sure that they are tight, and haven?t furred up.

I had a battery issue which manifested in spectacular fashion lol, and was due to the terminals furring up to the point that the battery would no longer charge properly off the alternator. After cleaning the terminals and charging the battery all is has been fine since.

Bike is a 15 MY, with the original OEM ?big? battery

Last edited:
Lean Angle Display

Mine did this at the end of last season even though the bike's software was up to date. Bizarrely the cause was a loose battery terminal and once tightened the problem has never occurred again. I also still have the original OEM battery fitted.

Yep. I have exactly the same problem. 15 model. Battery terminals have been checked and tightened, as well as having the much fabled software update. Worked (lean angle sensor was on display) for about a month, then its back to the same issues now. The lean angle display wont show when i first fire the machine up, but does when i turn it off and back on again.

Frustrating...

Yep. I have exactly the same problem. 15 model. Battery terminals have been checked and tightened, as well as having the much fabled software update. Worked (lean angle sensor was on display) for about a month, then its back to the same issues now. The lean angle display wont show when i first fire the machine up, but does when i turn it off and back on again.

Frustrating...

Same as mine, new battery resolved it.

Back