k3 in the wet

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon d

Reaction score
Hi did a track day at Oulton yesterday 19th didn't stop raining for the first four sessions the k3's i have on were absolutely crap the back end was all over the place. Has any one else had problems in the wet with k3's. I am nearly due another set of tyres and not sure what to put on. I had a Ducati Multistrada as my last bike running dunlop sport smarts which were v good in all conditions. Has any one run these on an s 1000.

K3's are not designed for real wet use on track due to the very limited tread. Others have said that the 2CT's are okay in the wet but not tried myself.

i have sports smarts on mine and they are pretty good in the wet.
K3's are almost like slicks in the edge of the tyre so they are bound to be shite , i have also had the same wobbly experience

I've been in the wet with my K3's and thought they performed well,but like fatbob says,you've got a good inch without tread. I wouldn't like to push them in the wet really,but I did once thinking I was in RAIN mode,only to find I was in SPORT lol oops :p

did a day at cadwell in apr not too much standing water the k3's worked well

did silverstone in may and wow so much water i can see why people use wet tyres. k3's were sliding everywhere. good fun though

got my second M5 on the rear very good feel and ace in wet got 3400 miles and 2 track days out of the last one.

Metzler themselves give K3's a terrible wet rating. I can't stand riding in the wet on the K3 even on the road- just get sketchy moments! (Though in no great rider in the wet anyway tbh)

The new RR version is supposedly a tad better but if you ride all weather - which I'm beginning to do a bit more of now, probably best go for Rosso III's now?

Metzeler Racetec K3

The old Metzeler Racetec Interact K3 was awful in the wet and rather unsurprisingly the new Metzeler Racetec RR K3 is dreadful as well.

Metzler themselves give K3's a terrible wet rating. I can't stand riding in the wet on the K3 even on the road- just get sketchy moments! (Though in no great rider in the wet anyway tbh)

The new RR version is supposedly a tad better but if you ride all weather - which I'm beginning to do a bit more of now, probably best go for Rosso III's now?

I think it was more Rosso I's back in the day of this thread!

Wonder how much the K3's have changed since 2012! That was 4 bikes ago & only two years into riding for me..!

Metzeler Racetec

There isn't much difference between the old Metzeler Racetec Interact K3 and new Racetec RR K3 tyres. However the new K1 and K2 race compound RR variants are hugely improved over what were originally extremely good race tyres. None of them should really be used in the wet as they are designed for dry use only.

...but you're not going to fall off if you're sensible.

<- Ridden in the wet on K3 RR's a load of times, none by choice.

Not discussed this before have we?! For what its worth I use M7RRs on mine, fine in the wet and dry and at inters track day pace and also last for thousands of miles, other similar do it all tyres are available. Nothing wrong with more track orientated rubber, just ask yourself if you can actually justify the compromises and expense.

Us Scottish riders have to use an all weather tyre or its clear blue sky riding only and even then you can't venture more than 30 mile from home☀️[emoji943]☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take it you went out for an after work spin today too Ross!! 😂 Out for about 40 mins clear blue sky's, next minute the sky's open! I still have standard bridgestones on mine and they are more than enough for what I can do on the bike! Strange thing is I had a Bridgestone battalax on my Ducati and had absolutely no trust in it whatsoever!

Put new rubber on my bike Thursday, Diablo Supercorsa SP as usual, only ever had rear wheel spinning up in torrential rain with a touch of heavy handed rider thrown in. Had K3's on my first RR and rode in all weathers with no issues.
Personally I wouldn't want to ride fast on a track with either tyre though.

JimmyMac

Tyres

I wouldn't want to ride fast on a track with either tyre though.

I've been caught out a few times during sighting laps and when rain has interrupted sessions with them fitted and it's not a particularly enjoyable experience. Ironically, the last time I crashed in the wet I had full race wet tyres fitted.

Back