Impressive BMW 1200 R

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Talking to a guy from EK today outside Ducati in Great Western Road with one of these. Had a full Akro decat on it...LOUD, lovely crack off it when he blipped the throttle...anyone had a go on one ?

Last edited:
R1200R Liquid cooled model.

Yea I agree they're great looking, A customer popped in on one recently, I've not ridden a Liquid cooled Boxer yet but I think they look a lot meaner than the predecessor.
They've dropped the Telelever front suspension in favour of s'thou style usd's which is interesting. Like the R9t..

Coincidently I saw an R9T today up at Ducati in Glasgow... telelever fronts always looked weird to me...great concept not pretty...bit like a wankel engine which has the additional drawback of an unfortunate name lol

I love the R9t I'd have one as a runabout bike if i could afford it.

I dont understand why they've kept telelever on the RT and GS but not the sportier RS, the whole point of them is the way they affect handling...

Yea... thought they conceived to reduce torsion over telescopic forks.. good under braking too.. clever stuff.. I remembered reading about it in the late 70s or early eighties... probably in a Motorcycle Mechanics mag...

Where the telever really comes into its own on a GSA is when your fully loaded, with pillion & a weeks luggage and then throw it up or down an alpine pass, there's virtually no weight transfer which makes it very easy to manage and you can enjoy hussling it rather than worrying about stacking it. The front tyre does feel a bit remote compared to a telescopic front end but you learn to trust it and I don't even think about it now.
The LC engine is miles better than the old twin cam air cooled motor, it only has an extra 15bhp on paper but that doesnt convey how much smoother and free'er revving it is, I used to feel like I was going to break the aircooled motor when pushing on as it was so wheezy at the top end and used to stink of hot metal after any kind of spirited riding, in contrast the LC engine retains the character but feels much stronger, indicated top speed also up from 120mph to 135 which is more telling than anything.

Latest posts

Back