Impossible clutch cable

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xan21uk

Reaction score
Hello,

My clutch cable has loosened off quite a lot.I have trawled the threads and have seen that i can adjust it via the cable on top of the clutch down on the left side of the bike. What i cant find though his how the hell you managed to get any purchase on the nut?? i took off the fairings, removed the spring and mechanism leaving just the cable flapping but still could'nt get my spanner anywhere near getting purchase on the nut. Any help would be appreciated, alternatively if someone could give me an idea what BMW would charge to do it as i don't want to start stripping threads etc. At the moment i am having to have the cable adjustment by the lever all the way out just to make gear changes bearable but it has no play whatsoever.

Thanks

Thanks.

I did wonder if that was a way to go.

Is that an easy thing to do? Just take off the fairing at the top and a few screws? or is it a logistical nightmare as with everything on a bike.

Tank top cover needs to come off 7 screws on top i think
Side covers (the black ones) need to come of 3 screws per side i think, you will also probably need to take the seat off to get 2 of the screws
1 bolt on each side of tank, through frame I believe
1 bolt under seat holding rear of tank

Then you should be able to lift tank.

All the "I thinks" because I'm not looking at my bike but whats written above is the gist of what you need to do.

Regards
Davy

Finally got around to doing it, took the tank off this time, much easier, so thanks to you Davy. However, there is still a load of slack ( a good 5mm of flex at the end by the spring) in the cable, the only way i can seem to get it tight is to wind the lever out to the max on the adjuster, but now i can barely reach it to pull in and i have no 'travel' before it comes on at all, to get any travel it becomes too loose.

Any Ideas?

Back