Ilmberger hugger: homologated or not?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingscotsman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Apologies for starting yet another hugger thread, but can't see answer to this on other threads.

I'm going to get the Ilmberger hugger, but it comes in two versions (or at least two different prices!)
Homologated (road legal) around ?240 and non-homologated (off road only) around ?190.

Does anybody know if there is any physical difference in the actual parts, or is the extra ?50 just for a piece of paper?

Cheers.

Street is a higher quality gloss finish, race is a little bit less so. Both are equally strong. You could also try fullsix carbon who are a vendor on here as they also do carbon huggers and do a big premier member discount, or you could try one the BMW dealers (AJ & Lind) for their best forum premier membership pricing on the ilmberger (same as BMW Hp). I'd recommend the non abs version whatever you do go for as it will lose the hole and save your rear shock.

Thanks a lot for the pictures with it on the bike - it looks very good. It's difficult from just isolated pictures of the huggers to imagine how they will look on the bike.
One of the things I liked about the Ilmberger is that the chain guard & hugger are one piece. The Fullsix looks a two-piece like the OEM.

I see you have the non-ABS hugger with ABS - agree looks much better & more functional. Have you ever had any issues with ABS unit hitting hugger (carrying pillion on very bumpy roads or coming off Mountain at Cadwell ??)

Last edited:
Yes it is a 2-piece. FullSix have 2 types of chain guard, a full length that matches OEM and a shorter one which is what I have. I don't carry pillion but otherwise had no issues with the hugger. I don't expect to TBH either as would have to go some to make contact between the two parts.

TBH I had a bit of a mare with the FullSix I got from a German vendor who are no longer on here with the fit. I had to open up a few holes as they hadn't allowed for the shoulder on the screws.

On one fairing infill panel I had to make some changes so that the BMW badge sat flush as the pins on the back of the badge didn't line up with the panel.

One tank side panel had to be replaced altogether as one of the mounting tabs was in completely the wrong position.

Apart from the adjusting which I wouldn't expect with a premium product like this, the finish is spot on. I could've sent it all back but couldn't be arsed as the service was somewhat very slow from Germany plus I had to wait weeks for that hugger.

I would say best to deal with the UK distributer

TBH I had a bit of a mare with the FullSix I got from a German vendor who are no longer on here with the fit. I had to open up a few holes as they hadn't allowed for the shoulder on the screws.

On one fairing infill panel I had to make some changes so that the BMW badge sat flush as the pins on the back of the badge didn't line up with the panel.

One tank side panel had to be replaced altogether as one of the mounting tabs was in completely the wrong position.

Apart from the adjusting which I wouldn't expect with a premium product like this, the finish is spot on. I could've sent it all back but couldn't be arsed as the service was somewhat very slow from Germany plus I had to wait weeks for that hugger.

I would say best to deal with the UK distributer

Cheers, @Billo01 That's really helpful information. Was the German vendor Motea by any chance?

Better finish, I got some ilmembger stuff and sent it back. Got full six belly pay waiting to be fitted. Got 2 little ilmembger bit but gonna get my mate to re laquier them

Better finish, I got some ilmembger stuff and sent it back. Got full six belly pay waiting to be fitted. Got 2 little ilmembger bit but gonna get my mate to re laquier them

I never had any issues with the quality of ilmberger having had 8 items from them, they have all been perfect, so I'm sorry to hear that, they clearly dropped the ball with you?

Cheers! Photos are really helpful. I think I'm going to go for the Ilmberger homologated - the finish is supposed to be better as it needs to be UV & weather resistant for the homologation certification apparently. I'll post pictures when I get it.

Latest posts

Back