Idle rattle

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N80Jamie

Reaction score
First of all, the bike is a 2010 with FSH and just over 10000 miles.

I'm getting a rattle when idling with the clutch lever out. When the clutch lever is pulled in or you begin to ride, getting above 2-3k rpm, the noise disappears. From what I can tell, the noise also gets more noticeable when the engine is warmed up. Due to the noise disappearing with the clutch lever in, it's leading me to believe it's clutch related. I'm unsure if the cam chain tensioner issue has these symptoms however?

Any input would be a great help! Short video below if it helps:

Surely something must be wearing though to cause the noise? Pretty sure they didn't make the noise from brand new. A video of other bikes may put my mind at ease though!

I couldn't hear any knock/rattle with yours in that video mate. I'll try and get a better video and mention when im pulling in and releasing the clutch.

try holding a screwdriver on the front exhaust valve, mine did this until the headers were replaced under warranty for a rattle on tick over whilst cold. it may be a slightly rattly clutch and exhaust valve not making it sound any better. :)

Last edited:
You got an aftermarket exhaust on it? Honestly just sounds like the fueling is off which is dropping the revs and making a few more mechanical noises. Like it's going to 1.5k then dropping to 900 etc etc. My 2 cents but honestly doesnt sound malicious or anything to worry about.

try holding a screwdriver on the front exhaust valve, mine did this until the headers were replaced under warranty for a rattle on tick over whilst cold.
This noise is still present when cold or warm. Was your rattle disappearing with the clutch pulled in?

You got an aftermarket exhaust on it? Honestly just sounds like the fueling is off which is dropping the revs and making a few more mechanical noises. Like it's going to 1.5k then dropping to 900 etc etc. My 2 cents but honestly doesnt sound malicious or anything to worry about.
Standard exhaust mate. I'm going to get it health checked anyway so if it is something like that fingers crossed it'll be picked up. Reassuring to hear it doesn't sound too bad! Ha

This noise is still present when cold or warm. Was your rattle disappearing with the clutch pulled in?

i think its all connected, when the clutch is pulled it just runs smoother so the rattle seems to go. just try a long screwdriver against the header exhaust valve. easy to try this.

i think its all connected, when the clutch is pulled it just runs smoother so the rattle seems to go. just try a long screwdriver against the header exhaust valve. easy to try this.
Will give it a go mate, cheers

Refer back to my old threads I made. I was also very paranoid and have a lot of comments on them.

2010 s1k - https://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?9775-Help-(
2015 s1k - https://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?10378-Please-tell-it-its-normal!
I appreciate the help mate but I still think yours had a different noise and so maybe a different issue. Mine seems to clunk/knock whereas yours seemed more of a ticking noise. I'll investigate further once the bike is off the road for winter

I dont think your bike sounds to bad, my 2010 has always been like a rattle snakes ass (noisy) and I think you have nowt to worry about but good to hear you are getting it checked. Try wearing ear plugs and put your helmet on before you start the bike.

I dont think your bike sounds to bad, my 2010 has always been like a rattle snakes ass (noisy) and I think you have nowt to worry about but good to hear you are getting it checked. Try wearing ear plugs and put your helmet on before you start the bike.

Thats great advice Phil, I find mines sings like a bird in 5th gear at full throttle, clutch out and arse up. No sounds to worry about, but keep a look in the mirrors.

JimmyMac

I agree with the above, from what I?ve heard in your videos I don?t think there is any cause for concern.
As Phil and Felix say, the S1K?s do make a lot of mechanical noises at low revs.

I agree with your decision to get it checked by your BMW dealership though, as this will at the very least help put your mind at ease

As I've promoted myself to better and faster bikes over the years, I've noticed the whole "noise-thing" becoming more of an issue:

Yamaha 850 Twin. Smoooooth as you like.
Triumph Speed Triple. Bit more grunty and tuneful, smooth-ish.
KTM RC8R. Rattly old c*nt around town. Not in the least bit smooth at low revs, but really gets it's shit together at high revs though. Was often congratulated on engine noise at track days.
BMW S1000RR. Seems to be a leprechaun following me around on his green grom to tap his little fekkin hammer on my engine case when I'm at the lights. Tap. Tappety tap. Tap. tap-tap.

I put it down to my bikes getting faster and more expensive; my paranoia on riding around on something that cost so much fekkin money that I now panic every time I fart unexpectedly (happens a lot these days, especially at 14K revs).
Conclusion. It's all in my head.

Latest posts

Back