HP Forged Wheels

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwobbler

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I've always regretted not getting HP wheels fitted to my bike from new. However, my first thousand miles this year has seen some serious pot holes, fortunately with out damage to the standard rims. I'm after feedback from owners with HP wheels - are they fairly robust or are they more likely to suffer damage compared to standard wheels? Most of my riding is on the road, so I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons of HP wheels when I come to change.
Thanks.

I would highly recommend HP forged wheels and they represent exceptionally good value for money when bought as an optional extra on a new S1000RR. They are also very robust and mine have endured countless tyre changes, and a few off-track excursions, and they are perfectly fine.

I know @stuartb 's HP4 rim is out of true from him sitting on it, but you can't use that as a normal measure.

They are no less robust than the cast wheels. It's not like the old Audi RS4/6 screw up where they fitted weak rims which buckled every time they hit a bump in the road.

Lol.. BTW I still have not got my bike back from Dalkeith that's 3 weeks they have had it now FFS.. buckled rim or not I want it back !

Worth the extra for the 90 degree valves...
No complaints here either for being soft, plenty tyre changes and 2 slides on track with the only marks being very light from the kitty litter.
Upgraded discs too so well worth it if you get another bike in the future.

As the others have said, the HP rims are fantastic VFM when purchased as an upgrade on a new SThou.
In addition to the reduced weight, you get better discs and as Loupe says the 90 degree valve stems.
My bike has covered nearly 42 K miles from almost exclusively road use, had more tyre changes then I care to imagine lol and in the countryside where I live the roads are ?agricultural? to say the least and my HP rims are in good condition. Oh and I?m also a heffer lol ...

I agree with Alex, in my experience I?ve seen absolutely no evidence of reduced durability with the forged rims over the stock cast wheels

Last edited:
Lol.. BTW I still have not got my bike back from Dalkeith that's 3 weeks they have had it now FFS.. buckled rim or not I want it back !

I feel your pain Stu, my bike was out of action for 3 weeks, it?s not pleasant ...

Have you had an update yet, can it be repaired?

+1
I hope your rim can be repaired and that you get your bike back very soon indeed

FYI - BMW to supply and fit HP rims will cost you ?3200, I enquired about this previously.
To get BST Carbon Wheels you are looking at about ?2700, They are also lighter too

Try Smiths in Gloucester, they are breakers.
I bought my zero mile (complete with lights) MS road kit and HP wheels, discs etc with tyres from them.
I thought I?d been tucked up when I transferred the funds as they were v cheap but they were an absolute pleasure to deal with.
They had 3 full sets at the time and I wish I?d bought all 3 now!

The bikes were bought as race bikes and basically rolled out the showroom and stripped bare.

Last edited:
I know @stuartb 's HP4 rim is out of true from him sitting on it, but you can't use that as a normal measure.

They are no less robust than the cast wheels. It's not like the old Audi RS4/6 screw up where they fitted weak rims which buckled every time they hit a bump in the road.

That's great feedback guys and very reassuring - thank you. Didn't know about the upgraded disks.

Not sure how I started a thread on Stuart's BMI though!

FYI - BMW to supply and fit HP rims will cost you ?3200...

Like any BMW part if purchased separately they are expensive and there are cheaper alternatives out there which are just as good. If you choose to buy them as an optional extra when ordering a brand new S1000RR they only cost ?1260 which is extremely good value for money.

The HP forged wheels come supplied with HP front brake discs which are better than those found on the OEM cast wheels. They are much more suitable for circuit use and offer better stopping power and heat dissipation due to their design. That said unless you are exceptionally quick on track your unlikely to notice the difference let alone on the road.

The HP forged wheels come supplied with HP front brake discs which are better than those found on the OEM cast wheels. They are much more suitable for circuit use and offer better stopping power and heat dissipation due to their design. That said unless you are exceptionally quick on track your unlikely to notice the difference let alone on the road.

Are they not thicker? If so, even for road use you?d get more mileage out of them?

I think you would have to be extremely quick to mess up the standard discs, 4years on track with my gen1 with original discs
I'm not so sure about that, I managed to warp a pair if std discs, and I've now got doubts about the replacements (weird high speed vibes). I'm certainly not 'advanced' by any stretch of the imagination! May be poor technique though and I am heavy on the brakes with as many trackdays as I can squeeze in. So far, my only niggle with the bike in 14k miles.

Latest posts

Back