How old is old , tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ubik

Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of Metzeler sportec M7RR from oponeo for ?193 all in. Cheapest place I could find but now I worried about the date codes. I phoned to check and the girl I spoke to was useless, started quoting delivery times didn't have a clue about tyre age and said they were already on there way anyway.

So I'm just asking what is your cut off age for tyres?

having a bit of a Google on it and anything under two years looks fine. Metzeler did some tests on five year old tyres and couldn't find any noticeable difference but I've friends who six months is too old.

Thanks

Alex

M7RR's have only been out for a couple of years if that, nothing to worry about I would say

I often buy from Oponeo,for track use,the tyres have never been more than a year old(ish-it depends on time of year).I think they buy manufacturers end of year stocks when available.

I bought a very low mileage 2005 triumph a few years ago. It was sold with 'new tyres that have only done 500 miles'. What the seller neglected to mention was that it took him 6 years to do the 500 miles. When I checked the date code after thinking 'these tyres are shite' I found they were nearly 7 years old. 7 year old continental road attacks are no good! No experience with new ones mind so maybe they just aren't very good anyway?

Tyres have just turned up and they're 4215 and 4115 so October 2015. chuffed
thanks for the comments ����

I bought a very low mileage 2005 triumph a few years ago. It was sold with 'new tyres that have only done 500 miles'. What the seller neglected to mention was that it took him 6 years to do the 500 miles. When I checked the date code after thinking 'these tyres are shite' I found they were nearly 7 years old. 7 year old continental road attacks are no good! No experience with new ones mind so maybe they just aren't very good anyway?

RA's are VERY good IMO. My CB1R was great on them.

Tyres have just turned up and they're 4215 and 4115 so October 2015. chuffed
thanks for the comments ����

Nice one, my M7RR's turned up yesterday :joyous:

Latest posts

Back