How Do You Use The BMW Quickshifter Correctly??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never had a problem finding false neutral finding neutral thats a different matter also mine doesnt like throttle blips when changing down which is an old habit i had with my gixer1000 with a racefit end can on sounded wonderful

For some reason (somebody might explain) it doesnt like blipping at lower revs but when yr on song it works perfectly

the quickshifter doesnt work at all with a closed throttle so if you are backing off just do it slightly
I havent been impressed with my quickshifter since I got the bike ...until last week, when it started to change sooooo sweetly
just changed my tyre yesterday and it was back to its not so good tricks, so Ive now set the chain to 46mm slack and its absolutely LUSH again
...I also had some vibration with a slightly tighter chain - seems the bike is VERY sensitive to chain slack

the quickshifter doesnt work at all with a closed throttle so if you are backing off just do it slightly
I havent been impressed with my quickshifter since I got the bike ...until last week, when it started to change sooooo sweetly
just changed my tyre yesterday and it was back to its not so good tricks, so Ive now set the chain to 46mm slack and its absolutely LUSH again
...I also had some vibration with a slightly tighter chain - seems the bike is VERY sensitive to chain slack

Thats interesting - might get my guys to check my chain next time they have bike before we go to Snett at end of month.

To be honest, I'm getting on much better with my QS now ive had more time out on track with the bike - however, its far from brilliant and even owing to my less than perfect input the gear changes are sometimes a little aggressive etc.

So - after my trip to HM Racing a couple of weeks ago i am now 100% going to get their QS fitted - which is a "proper" QS and is revered all over the world now and by a lot of top race teams - its not cheap but its on my wish list for sure.

I have used mine at all revs and has worked fine, although recently when quick shifting under 8k the shift is slower and the rear end squats a tad before shooting off. I am not bothered enough to check it out as above 8 K its seamless. Normally I only use it above 8k's and clutch it below.

I wanna tell you a story, when I was a boy, (a few years ago) (but I didn't say I'm grown up now!) Triumph and BSA made racers out of the Trident and Rocket 3 bikes, Rob North made the frames, Doug Hele was in charge and they really got them going fast, about 80 BHP if I remember correctly, John Cooper beat Ago on the MV fair and square at Mallory and Brands, in 1971 all the 10 bikes in the Anglo/American match races (later to be called the Trans-Atlantic challenge) were supplied by the race shop. Back to the topic, they had a cut out strip on the left bar which was a manual quick shifter, the rider just touched the strip and hit the gear lever, (which of course was on the right, the correct place for it, (anyone heard of cross co-ordination?) also the direction was down for up, instead of the numpty up for up we have to put up with now, why you may ask? it's much easier to push to lever down when lying flat on the tank, and when you're hard on the brakes sitting upright it's easier to hook to lever up, (ever seen racers knees keep flicking out when approaching a corner?) and it would stop the need for short shifting when banked over,) The next advance was to use the rev limiter as the quick shifter, this was really difficult to get right and never caught on I think. At the time of all this going on I was a keen spectator at most of the, what was known as 'the home internationals', I rode a pre-unit Bonneville with mag ignition, they had a cut out button on the bars as well, it was a delicate art to get it right, but 3rd to top (only 4 gears then!) sounded really 'slick', when I wanted to be a hooligan, (don't get the urge to be one quite so often nowadays) I would hold the throttle open while pushing the kill button, when I let it go there would be an almighty back fire, my god it used to make the grannies jump down the high street!!! (now I'm old enough to be one myself). Lastly at a little track in France called Folembray, the 'cool' guys go past the pit wall hanging onto the quick shifter a little longer and get the same backfire.

Im heading down to HM Racing on Thurs to have their Quickshifter fitted and all my lovely new Ohlins bits!!

never had a problem finding false neutral finding neutral thats a different matter also mine doesnt like throttle blips when changing down which is an old habit i had with my gixer1000 with a racefit end can on sounded wonderful

I've had mine only a few weeks and have only covered 200 miles, busy at work. I also find selecting neutral a pig and often have to switch off and then find it. Is it a trait of the bike or something needing adjustment?

Cheers

As this threads nearly 2 years old, you might want to start a new one for yourself mate

It's easiest from 2nd to N. And it's difficult on all...easiest when still moving.

Back