How Do You Use The BMW Quickshifter Correctly??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoops

Reaction score
Im probably going to get slated for even asking this stupid question but I'm just wanting to know if im using the quickshifter correctly??

Its the standard "shift assist" BMW Quickshifter that comes on the Sport model.

But im not convinced im doing it right!!

Basically i am twisting the throttle and with my toe pushing slightly up on the gear lever i very quickly shut the throttle off momentarily and then pin in it again to change the gear - is this the correct way to do it or am i doing something wrong??

Sorry for being a doofus but want to make sure I'm doing it right and im not doing any damage to the bike etc.

Dont close the throttle, just keep it open and pull the lever up with your toe. ensure you give the gear lever a firm pull up otherwise the bike can hit a false neutral.

Oh shit the bed!! I thought you were supposed to ever so slightly shut the throttle off at the point you want the gear???

no such thing as a stupid question mate only stupid ans,,,,,,
no need to shut throttle of at all fella,you can change up while winding throttle open or if you a bit nervy with throttle in fixed/held position,
just remember that its only for upshifts,,you should still use your clutch when going down the box,,,,

She won't like it if you use it near the rev limiter either. The ecu starts to interupt the ignition so you might get false neutrals

Great - thanks chaps and appreciate the replies - felt a bit silly asking but ive never had a bike with a quickshifter before.

Ive heard that they are a common problem though on the S100RR with quite a few people having issues with it?? But i think if it does work ok then its a bloody cool thing to be able to just pin the throttle back and then just keep changing up. Have to say i very rarely use my clutch lever going up the box on track anyway - but want to make sure i use the gear assist properly. Thanks chaps!

you get a much smoother change when you keep the throttle held open ive noticed

when I had my first big bike a z1000 it had shift assist on there but I never knew and every time I used the clutch to change gear as i was taght it was a rough old gear change lol I only discovered I had shift assist later when I read the book

I know what you mean - my biggest issue is i suffer with "manual phobia" - just cant bear to sit and read manuals!!!

Dont be too firm though. You shouldn't need much more than a little pressure for the gras to change.

It certainly won't hurt the bike to slightly roll off the throttle a little when using the shift assist, as if you were using a clutch less gear change. It's more mechanically sympathetic as it reduces load on the gearbox. Which on these BM's is a good thing. As I'm running the bike in, I'm trying to get used to slightly rolling off when using the shift assist. You get a much smoother gear change.

I'm running mine in and I haven't rolled off the throttle but I haven't had it against the stops either. Now I have 500 miles on it I'm giving it a bit more stick and I'm finding the cut in ignition quite long. When going up through the box with the throttle pinned and the bike cranked over its a bit scarey and I would rather do it myself. Is the HM shifter any better and if so why?

Iv looked in to the whole is the shift assist any good etc. The answer is yes. As long as you use it as it was designed to be used and don't abuse it or be too heavy footed with it, it's fine. The BMW Motorrad France Endurance Team actually use the shift assist on there endurance bikes. There is nothing wrong with it. Plenty of people will disagree though.

Also, if you haven't given it full throttle after 500 miles, you need to start. Tbh you only need to be light with the running in for the first 100 miles. After that, it's ride it like you stole it.

Ride it like you stole it - love that saying!!!

Ps; did you get my PM, Hopper??

I had the bike last year in 'Sport' mode whilst getting used to it (so usually upshifting below 8000) and never use the clutch upshifting not even at low speeds. I acknowledge that every once in a while going from 1st to second you get a false neutral unless you give it a deliberate 'ankle up' but this is rare. I've read a lot about people complaining about their quick-shifter but mines the dogs, it works well at all speeds/gears and I leave the throttle exactly where it is - open and engaged without backing off and have had no real issues - incredible bit of kit.

I remember my first test ride - hadn't been on a bike since passing my test 5 years earlier, I used the clutch for the first 15 minutes then just thought "Oh screw it, apparently I can pin this without clutching..." went for it, wondering if I had the 'right end of the stick' - I was amazed and after that never bothered with the clutch on the upshift..... Bit worried one day I'll come a cropper having a go on a mates bike and forgetting that there is no quick-shift!

Lol I got on my monkeybike the other day and was crashing up through the gears with out using the clutch, it took a while to get used to using the clutch again

I find the Quickshifter smoother at higher revs. More often, I go from first to second using the manual clutch when I'm starting off and then QS up the range. This is more being cautious as I'm still running in and "learning" the bike. :)

Used mine this morning trundling round the north circular as hands were freezing, changed from 1st to 6th at 3 or 4k and very smooth

never had a problem finding false neutral finding neutral thats a different matter also mine doesnt like throttle blips when changing down which is an old habit i had with my gixer1000 with a racefit end can on sounded wonderful

Back