Hope this isn't anyone on here.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once got caught by a mobile british policeman on London bridge checking 20mph speed limit.

My fault ofc. But, I didn't race. I didn't have any plans to break any limits, I just slightly opened a throttle when coming onto the bridge from Bank side which resulted in 39mph.

He stopped 5 people in 15mins window while apprehending me with a ticket.

6 points and 500gbp fine. Shit happens.

Those guys are good, leave them alone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Three Golden rules for speeding:

1. Don't do it where it puts other people at risk.
2. Don't get caught.
3. Don't forget rule no. 2.

Sounds like these knobbo's forgot all three.

I might be mistaken but did you say you had a bike when you were younger and got a ban for speeding.....

My biggest bugbear with forums is everyone will jump on the too fast for the situation bandwagon.

Visualize this. You and a friend. Nice clear hot day.
Straight enough road in the middle of nowhere. Your mate gives it a burst.

Now how many of ye in this situation which crops up alot wouldn't give it Abit of power. Where to catch up or blast past or maybe ye both just gave it socks for a burst.

And a French police jumps out of a hedge with his hand up.

It happens easy.

Haha... a memorable story I read years ago in the old Motorcycle Mechanics magazine, the article was called Half Wheeling, it was exactly as you described.

The journo wrote that he and a mate were out for a leisurely run..good conditions, little traffic...he was half a wheel in front..he's feeling like the master...out the corner of his eye his mate crept in front of him, subconsciously he thought...naaaa and moved in front again, quietly gloating on being "the man" once more, his mate of course thought otherwise and again moved ahead..by half a wheel.. adrenaline starts coursing and war begins, before you know it Banzai!... easy done...and the consequences (in your case) well the guy in front gets clipped with a ticket..it pays to hang back at times..lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I know someone (ahem.....) who got caught in late Oct 16 at a speed gun measured 251 kmh in an Audi A7 BiTurbo - just after the final toll booth on the A16 returning to Calais for the Chunnel. He (splutter...) got a ?750 cash fine plus a one month ban for driving in France and had to pay ?320 to have his car transported to the Tunnel on a flatbed as he (cough....) was alone and no-one else could drive. Then 6 months later the cheeky French authorities sent him (cough....) a payment reminder for the original fine of ?750 as a final demand - so he (you get it...) wrote back in French with a copy of the original paid fine and never heard from them again. You think our systems aren't joined up! Like the other correspondents on here, the Frogs are having a major crackdown on speeding - even the locals stick to the speed limits. If you choose to speed, don't get caught.

And certainly don't visit the Audi garage the next day to inquire as to why the flippin' car isn't limited to the stated 250 kmh as the roars of laughter from the back of the service desk will make you feel an even bigger idiot!

Bit of a crazy time in France at the moment, with the law changing Jan 2016 from 100bhp to unlimited.
The police are cracking down as the French bikers ( Especially the younger generation ) can now buy tuning parts that were unavailable before.
The law changed from 90km/hr to 80km/hr ( 57mph to 50mph ) earlier this year so there is a crackdown on speeders at the moment but it will change.
If you drive on the route national 110km/hr or peage 130km/hr you will be less bothered by police, I often will set cruise for 160 on Peage and have never been bothered.
But I always slow down at a motorway bridge or overpass as the Bike cops will sit and wait there, and if you have a loud can like the photos show then they can hear you from miles away.
The 80km/hr speed limit is ok I think, as I live next to a road which is too narrow to be any faster.
If they did not know the road ( B road 80km/hr) how could they travel at 200+km/hr ?

Just my thoughts
Dave

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]or peage[/FONT]

Bit of a crazy time in France at the moment...Just my thoughts
Dave
Thanks Dave, good to get a 'local's' perspective.
I'm seeing a mate in Bordeaux soon. Gonna ferry it to Santander, couple of days larking around in Spain, go to Bordeaux... I'm now planning my route home (bit of Peage where necessary, but kept to a minimum). Any tips for planning my route home to maximise fun and minimise police action.
Cheers
Hugh

Hugh,
Difficult not knowing your timeline but,

A10 Bordeaux- Poitiers I would Exit Pons, its partial Peage after Angouleme N10 ramp,
D732 to Royan ( No cops ) E602 to La Rochelle ( Worth a stop )
I would then head to Le Mans various Peage or National routes Then Rouen but it depends which ferry port you are taking ferry back to UK.
But I would definately head Rouen and bypass Paris.
There are brilliant roads all the way up the coast, but time is the problem I suppose.
As for cops, you will see them from a distance on the overpasses with offramps.
The other thing about French Moto Cops, they are not like Brit cops ie: "hello mate" " Nice Bike" bit of banter before they nail you to the cross, if you treat them with respect and try a bit of French ( Although every Cop on a bike that has stopped me can speak good English) but they don't like " If it wasn't for the Brits you Froggies would speak German " :smug: anyway I am ranting.

If you are in Bordeaux give me a call and I will meet up but I am not home until 24th October.
Or stop for a beer, you have the number.
Dave

Hugh,

A10 Bordeaux- Poitiers I would Exit Pons, its partial Peage after Angouleme N10 ramp,
I would then head to Le Mans various Peage or National routes Then Rouen but it depends which ferry port you are taking ferry back to UK.
There are brilliant roads all the way up the coast, but time is the problem I suppose.
The other thing about French Moto Cops, they are not like Brit cops ie: "hello mate" " Nice Bike" bit of banter before they nail you to the cross, if you treat them with respect and try a bit of French ( Although every Cop on a bike that has stopped me can speak good English) but they don't like " If it wasn't for the Brits you Froggies would speak German " :smug: anyway I am ranting.

If you are in Bordeaux give me a call and I will meet up but I am not home until 24th October.
Dave

Mind the speed camera after the tunnel in Rouen, choice of route is spot on as I would go from Calais to Royan that way.

Just don't speed after Rouen if going to Calais as its riddled with the Gendarme with the free European issue speed guns.

Hugh,

Dave

Hey Dave. What's the weather like in South of France this time of year? I'm thinking of hitting Santander ferry next week, have a spin in the pyrennes, see a poorly mate in the Medoc and then tootle home via Dieppe. Insanity?
Been busy with a new thing over the summer so am feeling reet jaded. Few days on the bike'll sort me. Cheers, Hugh

Last edited:
Hugh,
Sorry , I missed this part of the thread,
Wife says the weather is lovely but she has only been on a bike once, in 1999 and it was her last :triumphant:
Dave

Latest posts

Back