Hope this isn't anyone on here.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyMac

Reaction score
Two British bikes impounded in France for being a bit naughty.............

30f939f325a1b6393fdc7fe337d0b129.png

https://www.20minutes.fr/faits_dive...tards-anglais-rentres-chez-pieds?xtor=RSS-176

Google translation here:

HOMEMISCELLANEOUS
Pas-de-Calais: The two English bikers went home on foot
MISCELLANEOUS On the handlebars of powerful motorcycles, two British were controlled far above the new speed limit ...

- National Gendarmerie
Nobody is supposed to ignore the law. Otherwise, they could also look at the panels. Last Saturday, two bikers of British nationality were intercepted by the gendarmes on a departmental side of Arras, in the Pas-de-Calais. They drove very (very, very, very) above the maximum allowed speed of 80km / h.
In France, since July 1, speed is limited to 80 km / h on two-way roads without a central separator. The reform has cringed a few teeth, but hey, it's like that now. In particular, to verify that road users had registered the new regulations, the gendarmes of the Pas-de-Calais carried out speed control operations on Saturday.
One hundred and thirteen km / h above the speed limit
Posted on the departmental road 917, bikers of the Gendarmerie Arras have found that, overall, the French had lifted their foot. Which was far from the case of two English bikers. Running together on the handlebars of two BMW RR 1000 S, they were controlled at 204 km / h instead of 80. Even if the speed chosen is "only" 193km / h, it was still a lot.
The two British were therefore intercepted and taken to the station. The gendarmes confiscated their licenses on the field and a ban on driving on French territory for several months hangs from their noses. They also had to pay a deposit of 750 euros to be able to return to England, without their motorcycles, put in the pound.
KEYWORDS: Various facts gendarmerie road safety Pas-de-Calais english speeding biker speed limit

​JimmyMac

Last edited:
I bet they were nobel gentelmen, just running a bit late for a game to a pub yesterday.

Last edited:
Yes Phil, "let he who has not sinned" and all that.

Hope you are enjoying the long hot summer down there.

JimmyMac

Haha, I edited my post. My 1st thoughts were exactly that.

Jimmy, it is a little too hot for me, Louise and I rode home from Devon last Saturday by 3pm it was 31c.. Seriously would prefer 12c to max 22c.

There is a time and a place, but reckon this was neither. According to other info when the case is concluded, if found guilty the bikes are to be crushed....... JimmyMac

Crushed? wtf. Agree that 200kmh is silly in 80, but crushing the bikes? They both look like Gen1's so they're 'only' worth about ?6-7k these days... plus ?750 fine already applied + travel home without bikes + any return trips for further action. That starts to feel like massive overkill?

Last edited:
To not have seen the speed check and slow down strongly suggests the road ahead was unsighted at the 125+ mph they were doing. Stupid and dangerous.

To not have seen the speed check and slow down strongly suggests the road ahead was unsighted at the 125+ mph they were doing. Stupid and dangerous.

Unsighted - not necessarily. Again, not trying to justify those speeds but in my experience french police love to hide and surprise, and the locals love to try and warn you (which has potentially helped me a few times), bless them. Of course, they might not have felt so accommodating to these two, or even had the chance to react.

I've mentioned this story before - I was out and about with 7/8 mates in the middle of France 4/5 years ago, and 2 of us got through some lights and the others had to wait. Had we all got through we'd have probably have shot down the incredibly long straight road out of the town and into the country. We'd probably have been a bit over the limit, but far far below the above numbers. However the two of us pootled along the road, watching our mirrors, waiting and waiting for the others to be released. They had to wait 2/3/4 mins and we were nearly out of sight, so we just stopped at the roadside. I nearly s**t myself when 4 cops with radar guns jumped out the bushes and asked what we wanted - they were surprised we 'knew' they were there... I was incredibly lucky, anyone on this forum would have done that day had the traffic lights been 3/4 seconds different.

Doesn't matter where you are if you're going to firmly stick two fingers up at the speed limit you can't complain if you get caught and battered by the law.

Lol. (quite like the yellow colour scheme).
They needn't worry if Les Flics crush their bikes, tho. The insurance companies will classify it as an "Act of Plod"

Lol. (quite like the yellow colour scheme).
They needn't worry if Les Flics crush their bikes, tho. The insurance companies will classify it as an "Act of Plod"

Are you related to Tim Vine Hugh? Hahaha

I like your 3 rules, very good.

JimmyMac

The French are on an accident reduction exercise.

It is harsh, but with sat navs warning you of accident black spots and the warnings on the internet......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back