Hi there

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
So I'm in Oban again today, nice run up... this has been on my mind for ages....so I'm having a rant.. I cant believe the amount of fellow bikers now that pass me on the road and dont acknowledge .. no nod..raised hand..leg out if you overtake..**** all, just passed a group of 4 geezers on sportsbikes... not one acknowledgement... just before that on the long straight before Dalmally bends seen this guy coming from like half a mile away... as we reached each other I raised my hand.. he looked straight ahead and drove past... never used to be like that when I was younger... whats it all about ! Anyone else feel the same ?

Last edited:
Yep , I thought it was just me. It used to just be Harley riders but not now. You can forgive the odd few as not everyone does see you but there is a lot of the time you know they have seen you and just ignored you , ignorant pricks.

I know most of us do it but why? When I was younger (1960's) can remember my dad flashing his lights at a beetle, (vw, we/he had one) which was I think for a similar reason. Probably nowadays it's a class thing, whether yr wheels are better than theirs or vice-versa which may deserve an acknowledgement or not as the case may be.

I always try and ensure I give a nod to any biker passing the other way, it's just good manners IMO. I get less reciprocal nods when I'm on the GSA, and rarely get a nod from other GS riders when I'm on the HP4. Nuts.

Funny that Soof I find GS Owners kind of reluctant to acknowledge me... its like a strained sideways minimal movement of the head.. I take as many opportunities as I can to acknowledge irrespective of manufacturer...matters not to me who rides what.. I love the older guys that hold their hand straight up with palm facing you.... total respect.. they've probably got a million miles under their belt...always makes me smile that...

Last edited:
I enjoy the faux camaradary of acknowledging fellow oppressed minority bikers when riding my ?16k superbike toy, and make a particular point of acknowledging spotty oiks on their beat up mopeds. Some people think that the nodding other bikers thing is sad. That is their problem and they need to get out more. Some people take it to heart when other bikes refuse to return the acknowledgement. They probably won't like my view of their issues either.

edit: When in a group ride-out, passing another group ride-out going the other way, the nodding thing is absurd - which is what makes it fun.

Last edited:
I just like the tradition of it mate... having been part of the bike scene since 1978/9 I think its good to maintain.. spotty nerds will hopefully replace us when were gone..sadly theres not enough of them.. I make a point of speaking to them when I can... hard to beat encouragement from someone.

Last edited:
I always wave, unless banked over on a corner where I try my best to nod. One of my friends who has a blade regularly salutes oncoming bikers like a sailor whilst standing up, only in a 30 through town. It's hilarious to be behind him when it happens. We have NEVER ridden past a stricken biker either and it is how some of my riding group met.

JimmyMac

I just like the tradition of it mate... having been part of the bike scene since 1978/9 I think its good to maintain.. spotty nerds will hopefully replace us when were gone..sadly theres not enough of them.. I make a point of speaking to them when I can... hard to beat encouragement from someone.

I think for those of us who have been riding a long time acknowledging other riders is something that's always been done, maybe for a lot of new riders its something that they don't 'get'? I tend to flash my light more than wave and it doesn't bother me if I don't get a response as its just good to be friendly, right?

Last edited:
I nod to any oncoming rider or tag my left foot out if passing anyone but I'm noticing more and more less response back very annoying mind u hate to say the word but all hardly riders give a wave and when I got a hole in my rad on my hour old r1 on way to Scottish bike show in 2012 they were only ones to stop to see if I was ok out of many that passed .

I always nod and most riders nod back here in yorkshire. Its like a reflex when i see a bike. I've even done it in the car by accident haha!

I think for those of us who have been riding a long time acknowledging other riders is something that's always been done, maybe for a lot of new riders its something that they don't 'get'? I tend to flash my light more than wave and it doesn't bother me if I don't get a response as its just good to be friendly, right?

When a biker flashes their lights at me I presume it is warning of a speed camera etc. It spoils a good stretch of road if it was a false warning.

I mix it up Soof, nodding, waving & flashing(!), flashing used where there's several bike together so I don't look like a nodding dog, but I shall take your comment on board and refrain :motorcyclesmilie:

When a biker flashes their lights at me I presume it is warning of a speed camera etc. It spoils a good stretch of road if it was a false warning.

I'd assume the same, I find it annoying when cars flash to warn of cameras and then bikers don't!

Anyway, on the bike etiquette thingy, what about thanking vehicle drivers who move over to let bikes through? I always try and wave a thankyou to them or stick my foot out. I read on a LinkedIn discussion I was on a few years back that drivers really appreciate the acknowledgement.

Yep I do that, I'd also say that I find car drivers are better at making way to let me past in traffic than they used to be

I was out yesterday and thought the exact same thing. Seems like a dying thing. It was the Belfast area and the north west was on so I dunno if people were just get fed up waving all the time or not.
In Germany, nearly every bike you pass, regardless of make or model, they give you a wave or the leg out.
Personally I think it's a nice thing to do and keeps that bit of comaraderie.

I nod, but sometimes forget/am focussed.
Riding in London you just don't there's too many.
If it's a group I either wave with a left hand or nod once and be done with it.

Anyway, on the bike etiquette thingy, what about thanking vehicle drivers who move over to let bikes through? I always try and wave a thankyou to them or stick my foot out. I read on a LinkedIn discussion I was on a few years back that drivers really appreciate the acknowledgement.

I usually go for the Thumbs up with my left as i pass.

Although I have mixed feelings about drivers moving over.

When in standstill traffic and a car moves so i can continue to filter or on a country lane where its hard to pass safely and a car moves over and signals - thats great.

But I often find that some car drivers in progressing traffic move over to the kerb to let me pass even when I don't want to (im doing the speed limit happily) It makes me nervous thinking they're paying more attention to me in their mirror than to the road ahead of them :stupid: If I wanted to be in front of them I would be..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back